29g VHO help

gilly

I am currently setting up a 29 gallon tank for growing SPS, clams and other corals. I am planning on using four 75w VHO bulbs. Is that enough light? Also what combination of spectrums should I use for best growth and color? I was planning on hanging the fixture 6-8in from the tank. Does it need to be closer?

trippkid

A combination of MH and VHO or T5 would be best. 10K's give faster growth, but coloration may suffer,IMO. You don't have a huge color selection to choose from, basically Actinic,10K,50/50(12K), and a Trichromatic(roughly 6500K). I would either go 2 10K's bulbs and 2 Actinic or maybe 3 10K's and 1 Actinic. I don't like 50/50 bulbs, but I guess you could use those also. If just using VHO, the 6" should be fine, any closer and you'll have salt spray getting all over the bulbs, possibly. Good luck, keep us posted on your progess.

Matt

trippkid

I can't say yes, because I have never used them yet. I use VHO's on my reef tank(120gal.) along with MH(14K's). I do have a T5 unit for the 29gal. I am putting upstairs, that will house some anenomes and some of the grow out from my tank downstairs. I have only read good things about the T5's, as long as they are individually reflected, and can be overdriven(will run at or close to VHO wattages for same length bulb) with IceCap ballasts(supposedly doesn't cause premature burnout). I can't say for sure yet, like I said, have not actually tested them yet.
Everyone has said they are good, especially for shallower tanks, less than 20".
Hope this helps a little, probably just sparks new questions though.

Matt

gilly

Thanks for the help. Im probably going to use T5s. I just hope it will be enough light for sps.