29gallon biocube mckevin's progress

madtownman

Look into upgrading the lighting in the hood. I have the 144 W upgrade, and you are able to have a wider range of things. I wouldnt go too nuts...even adding several pieces of coral at one time can send you into a mini cycle in such a small tank. I actually just had to throw 400 worth of corals and fish because of an increase in ammonia. I added too much too fast, and the tank couldnt keep up.
How often do you do a waterchange? I do a 5 gallon every week....

peef

I agree with the above...get your own test kit. Also I might have missed it but will ask anyway.
1. Do you mix your own water? If you do what kind of water do you use? Tap/Ro/RODI? And what kind of salt? Do you even do water changes?
2. If you don't have a test kit how are you sure that your tank is completely done with its cycle?
3. Do you have a hydrometer to test your salinity/specific gravity? If so I recommend getting a refractometer from the capital letters mentioned above. They test the SG and are WAYYYYYY more accurate.
Tank looks great though I like the rockwork alot! Nice coral additions but remember to take it slow at first or you could cause a crash in the tank and that would be terrible to your creatures and your wallet!

mckevinfang

-no i dont have my own test kit but i plan on buying one whats the best out there?
- i do a 5 gallon water change ever week and a half
- my hydrometer readings are fine
- looking into the refractometer
- i use ocean saltwater from my LFS for water changes
my tanks ok right now i got a total of
- 9 health corals
- 12 Nasserius snails
- 3 turbo snails
- 1 fire shrimp
- 1 clown fish
what should i get next?

mckevinfang

what a really bright coral one that sticks out?
my LFS has chilli pepper coral which is bright red but is it good?
should i invest into better lighting for my tank?
what are some PC's upgrades that will fit my hood?

matt b

Originally Posted by mckevinfang
what a really bright coral one that sticks out?
my LFS has chilli pepper coral which is bright red but is it good?
should i invest into better lighting for my tank?
what are some PC's upgrades that will fit my hood?
ok well for test kits salifert has some really good test kits but they get pricey! and for corals you could do some ricordeas. if i had a extra tank i would do a tank with just them!!! and for the lights ill send you a link to a good site that upgrades nanos in a PM.

mckevinfang

Originally Posted by MaTT B
ok well for test kits salifert has some really good test kits but they get pricey! and for corals you could do some ricordeas. if i had a extra tank i would do a tank with just them!!! and for the lights ill send you a link to a good site that upgrades nanos in a PM.
thanks for the advice MATT B

mckevinfang

i need a better clean up crew look at all this mess!! please help me out!!!
i already have
- 12 nassial snails
- 3 turbo snails
- 1 fire red shrimp
what more do i need??

PLEASE HELP ME!!!!!

K

kat74

Your tank's coming along nicely and looks great!~

Like a couple have already said, it is a wise investment to get yourself a refractometer. You would be surprised how different your SG readings will be compared to the hydrometer. ex. I had the Red Sea hydrometer and it tested my SG at 1.026. When I tested it with the refractometer, it was actually 1.030! The refractometer will give you accurate readings. For test kits, I use the API Saltwater Master kit and the API Reef Master test kit. It makes it a lot easier checking your own water when you sense that something is "off" instead of having to take your water to the LFS where they will usually say "everything looks good!". Your corals will sometimes give you an indication of something being "off" with your water. Gsp may not open up, mushrooms may shrivel, etc.. When I first started in the hobby, I was obsessed with checking my parameters and checked all parameters when I came in to work and checked them again before I left work. Now, I just check it once a week and when/if anything looks "off". Once your tank has been set up for awhile, you will find that your parameters remain stable and you don't have to check for "everything" all the time.
As for more clean up crew suggestions, you should get a conch. You will be amazed by what an awesome job they do at helping keep the sandbed clean. They literally look like they are vacuuming your sandbed. Also, some astrea snails will be good too.

Looking good, though!~

mckevinfang

guys i got a problem!! i recently got some new corals online and the overnight package was delayed due to weather!! will they survive for an extra day? they're a lot of "10 assorted zoo's" all different colors. what do you guys think?

mckevinfang

THE LINE UP
  • FISH

• 2 FALSE PEC. CLOWN FISH
    1 ROYAL GRAMMA
    INVERTS

• 1 SKUNK CLEANER
    1 FIRE BLOOD SHRIMP
    3 SCARLET HERMITS
    3 BLUE LEG HERMITS
    10 ASTIAL SNAILS
    3 TURBO SNAILS
    1 NASSARIUS NAIL
    2 EMERALD CRABS
    CORALS

• 20 CORALS

alex4286

Yeah some of it is. I can see some dead candy-cane skeletons (on the left side). I hope you didn't get charged a premium LR price for it..

mckevinfang

so some bad news!!
my two plate corals i had died!! they never closed their mouths i target feed them and everything oh well their skeletons now in my tank and i got a cool brain coral to replace them

oh i also got 2 bangai cardinals and a green reef chromis in the tank

ill post some new pics soon

mckevinfang

ok i know its been a while!! i got some bad news my 2 cardinals and my royal gramma died! but i got new live rock with corals. they will be missed heres some pictures!

oh! i have a question this thing has been growing and spreading in my tank and i dont know what it is? its purple and slimy sticking to anything and everything heres some pictures