2nd try at a SWFO tank...

drakken

Well, I'm going to try a SW tank again. I've done more research and here's my new plan...
I'll use my 28 gal bowfront with an Aqua Clear 200, a Penguin Mini Biowheel and one powerhead. Crushed coral substrate and dead coral and coral rock for decoration.
My LFS has some very nice tank raised clown fish and I plan to have just one. I'll have the clown cycle the tank and I'll get some seasoned sand and bio balls from the store to help kick start the tank.
Eventually I'll SLOWLY add small amounts of live rock then some shrimp, starfish and hermit crabs. Once things are well established I may add 1 or 2 small fish to go with the clown and that will be it.
So, how does that sound??

col

No pleassseeeeee
Don't use a Clown to cycle the tank.
It will be subject to very stressfull conditions.
Here in UK a clown costs £10, a raw shrimp - pennies!!!!

clownfish2

IMO you may want to can the cc and go with ls. Check around this board and I think you will find out that's the way to go. Good luck with your new setup.:)

lionstorm

yes i completely concur don't use a clownfish to cycle the tank and go with live sand and a deep sand bed instead of crushed coral

drakken

OK, so if I use some live sand about 3-4 inches deep and save the clown for later is everything else good??

lesleybird

Hi,
One does not need to stress ou healthy fish to cycle a tank. You can cycle a tank by feeding it sinking fish food daily just as if you had fish in the tank. The fish food will break down and create amonia and other food for the bacteria. You can also help to speed things along by purchasing some extra benificial bacteria culture to add to the tank. Lesley

fshhub

everything sounds good, except your cycle plan and cc
GO DSB
also, cycle with
either LR or LS or both AND/OR shrimp
Forget about using a fish to cycle with, esp when you cna use these other methods.

dacia

When I added live rock to my tank, it immediately started to cycle and I had a nitrite spike only 12 hours later. Adding the dead shrimp made it go a little faster too.
Please save the poor clownfish. A slight amount of ammonia can shorten his live by years. Ammonia to a fish is like tar and nicotine to human lungs. :( You will be much more satisfied with a healthy clownfish AFTER the cycle has finished.