3 fish left

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Beth
Sep, this conversation started in PM. He has already tried to remove the 3 remaining fish he has, but cannot get them. Dismantling his 250 is the only option, he feels, which is a semi-reef.
I could not in good conscious recommend sacrificing an entire echo-system for 3 fish. The fish only have a few spots, so I feel garlic is worth a shot, before jumping into dismantling the tank.
But, its up to you ichmag. Good luck!
Beth, I am very sorry if it sounded as though I did not trust your method. He thinks that he can get these fish out. I sincerely hope that he can. You do agree that garlic will not get rid of the parasite though right? I just don't want to see him quarantine all new fish and they end up with ich anyway. I completely understand why you recommended garlic. That is the best choice if the fish cannot be removed. I think if he can get them out if he fashions a divider.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ickmagnet
dont worry I should be able to remove the fish but what is a divider and how is it made.
Stores sell dividers or you can make one out of eggcrate (sold at home Depot or Lowes) You can make it out of clean plastic or anything that you trust to go into your tank. If you have a spot that is clear of rock then feed over it. You can drop the divider to trap them once they go in that area to eat.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Originally Posted by sepulatian
He thinks that he can get these fish out. You do agree that garlic will not get rid of the parasite though right? I just don't want to see him quarantine all new fish and they end up with ich anyway. I completely understand why you recommended garlic. That is the best choice if the fish cannot be removed. I think if he can get them out if he fashions a divider.

Actually, he told me he couldn't get them out, after having tried. His alternative was to break down his tank, which I can't in good conscious advise him to do. If he feels differently, then its fine; he's gotten a lot of info now to make a decision on his own.
As for garlic, no I don't necessarily agree that garlic can only be beneficial as an immune boost. I believe that is your position? There is anecdotal evidence that using the procedure, or similar, as I outline in the FAQ Thread can work on very mild cases of ich (one or 2 spots on a fish). Obviously, there are no guarantees with this, just as there are no guarantees with using "reef safe" meds. The advantage that garlic has over "reef safe" is that it will not adversely impact the entire ecosystem, especially if it is used by target feeding. Anyway, its along the same principal as homeopathic treatment. Before breaking down a 250 reef tank, I would try alternatives. Including not adding any new fish for 6-12 mos. following an outbreak that appears to have dealt with wo formal treatment.
Nothing said here should be misconstrued or interpreted as an endorse for using garlic as opposed to QTing new fish. Far, far from it.

9g

My hippo tang(1"-1.5") had like 30 spots of ick just last week. I believe it was due to me not turning the lights on and leaving him in the dark but after reading here, apparently its not. I was sure he was a gonner but then i fed some greens and meats soaked in garlic and vitamins each every other day and my hippo tang lost its ick within that week. My QT tank is at 1.025 sg
My clown fish never had ick while its with the hippo tang.