3 Snappers to Cycle

fish1031

I have LR... but I caught 3 small snappers today off the dock and they are in my 18day old 180g. and doing great so far.
They swim and eat mysis...

ophiura

Please NEVER return these fish to the wild, especially if you add any other fish from different areas of the world (or LR, etc). You can introduce foreign parasites or pathogens back into the wild.
You are, IMO, obligated to kill them should they outgrow the tank...and I suspect they will.
There are better ways -- I am sure you will hear :lol: -- to cycle rather than using live fish, IMO. But my greater concern now is that you do not ever release them back to the wild.

snapperboy

Originally Posted by tnn1567
At least you know you have fresh snappers if you feel like having one for dinner

after i read the post i thought the same thing, you are raising a future meal :happyfish

fish1031

haha... they are so cool... and ophiura... I did not plan to add any fish with them... I was simply keeping them for a few weeks...
They are Mangrove Snappers...
they get big but now they are 4in

murph

I assume you are in Florida and my guess is the snapper you are referring to are mangrove snapper. At this size they make great bait for the game fish that are likely also cruising around your docks this time of year. Hang a light on that dock and go out at night and you will see what I mean.
They are also considered game fish however and technically what you have done is take mangrove snapper under the slot limit. The guides around here are full aware of there bait value and can sometimes be the only way to guarantee there customers fish. I have seen more tickets written up for under-size mangrove snapper swimming around live in bait wells than any other infraction other than equipment tickets.
I have had outings that have gone hours without a single fish. As soon as I "accidentally" tossed out a mangrove snapper fish where caught. Snook and Tarpon simply can not resist them no matter the circumstances or time of day.
Hopefully this link will be allowed. It has nothing to do with SWF.com competitors and might save you a ticket.
http://www.capmel.com/florida_regs.htm
Bad news is you missed slot limit by six inches. Good news is your under bag limit by six fish

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by fish1031
haha... they are so cool... and ophiura... I did not plan to add any fish with them... I was simply keeping them for a few weeks...
They are Mangrove Snappers...
they get big but now they are 4in
You are only keeping them for a few weeks?? What are you doing with them after that?

fish1031

let go.. or use as bait...
I can't have a tank of just snappers.
I did not spend all this money for bait fish...