3 tangs in a tank

spiderwoman

Originally Posted by puffin04
http:///forum/post/2826817
Yes i have 7 tangs in my 125 SPS frag tank with no sand, and maybe 50 pounds of live rock that are fat and healthy. They are
Red Sea Sailfin (show size) had him for years
Hawaii sailfin (4in)
4 scopus tangs (3in)
Vlmingi (5in) got him tiny they grow fast!!!
Also
4 clowns Trues
Engineer goby that looks like an eel
5 chromis
2 cardinals
Also have a 75 with
3 yellow tangs (3-4in) grown them from tiny]
blue hippo(tiny)
BIG foxface grounded for picking on my clams
engineer goby
mandrian
three strip damsel
2 cardinals
Thanks no one is stress no one fights and all are very healthy and fat. Also zero nitrates, and phosphates with heavy feeding. Water changes once a month. Thanks
Steffen Sparks
OUCH! Is that all LR that you have in that tank?? OK... I won't say anything else...

puffin04

LOL i was expecting some one to flame me. HAHAHA
The 125 is part of a 300 gallon system, that has a 110 with about 300lbs of LR over 6 years old. And both tanks are connected with a 55 gallon refuge with sand and cheato, filtration is octopus extreme 250, carbon and GFO.
75 gallon has a 29 fuge with DSB on both and about 125lb LR. Running on a remora urchin pro. Thanks
Steffen Sparks

puffin04

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2827332
So you did that on purpose, to stir the discussion? Now that is not very smart

LOL sorry, thats why we most not jump on me people when they do these things. But yes i answer your question that 7 tangs can live happy and healthy. I which i had a longer tank for them because that is where it matters. As long as you have a kick ass filtration then anything is possible. Thanks

puffin04

Also i run ZEOvit as well, i believe a full blown ZEOvit system can be run as many fish and feedings that you throw at it. Thanks
Steffen Sparks

spiderwoman

That may be so, but that many large fish in small size tank means they do not have enough room to swim freely. Having a *clean* system doesn't mean that the fish in the tanks are getting enough exercise and not getting stressed.

ilovemytank

I vote no to three tangs in a 125. My reason is exactly what Spideywoman said. In the pictures above I don't think there is enough rock hiding places for the tangs. They can survive but if you want to see the natural behaviors and personality of the tangs then an put them in an envirement that complements there behaviors. Tangs love rock work and being able to retreat into a comfortable hiding spot even if they are the biggest fish in the tank. I have two; yellow 5" and blue 6" and they are friends but still have an occasional tiff.

puffin04

Originally Posted by SpiderWoman
http:///forum/post/2827400
That may be so, but that many large fish in small size tank means they do not have enough room to swim freely. Having a *clean* system doesn't mean that the fish in the tanks are getting enough exercise and not getting stressed.
Yes i agree i think my sailfin is just to huge for the tank but i have had him since he was a baby and just cant seem to give him up, I had someone offer me 250 the other day for him but declined his offer. I know that this is why to many fish for the tank but it is good for my SPS system. I guess i can also argue the fact since i have less LR i have more swimming room. I know for a fact that they are not stress since there is no color change, no ich present, and no nips on the fins and tail. They actually all swim together and hardly retreat into the rocks. As far as exercise i dont know how to tell since i still cant get that blood pressure thing on and he wont sit still enough on the scale to get his body fat reading!! Just joking!!!!
The only fish that i feel really bad for is my foxface since that 75 is just way to small for him. I do notice stress a little and color changes as well. I am still trying to find a home for him but he needs to learn that clams are off limits!!!! Thanks
Steffen Sparks

stanlalee

a 125g is two tang territory. I dont have any concrete evidence to pursway anybody I just know it from having two tangs. Do enough maintenence and buy good enough equipment bioload never has to be (or is) the limiting factor. 2 is fairly comfortable, 3 is pushing it.

puffin04

Originally Posted by Stanlalee http:///forum/post/2827941
a 125g is two tang territory. I dont have any concrete evidence to pursway anybody I just know it from having two tangs. Do enough maintenence and buy good enough equipment bioload never has to be (or is) the limiting factor. 2 is fairly comfortable, 3 is pushing it.
This is the guy that we should be worried about
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/339601/our-tang-family
Can you conclude any info on why more then 2 tangs can not live together? I have not seen stress, discoloration, or aggressive habits in my system. I will admit in the beginning it was hard since there was aggression when they where all in the 110 with 200lb of live rock. But all the tangs in there have grown up with each other and that is what seems to help out alot. I think it is best to add all the tangs at once but this is a problem because of bioload of course and the bacteria can not keep up with it. I dont think that everyone can do what i have produce and i guess i would leave it up to be how experience you are. I have over 600 gallons at my home and a room just dedicated to fish and coral. Thanks
Steffen Sparks

majestic987

Three tangs in a 6 ' tank, absolutely. I have 6 in my 140 they pass each other by just fine, and I have more aggressive ones (Powder Brown, Naso, Lopezi, Blue Hippo, Blue hippo yellow belly, and a yellow). Just a couple things that will help your success rate with tangs immensely; if you do decide to go with the sailfin tang make sure you get a larger one then your already existing yellow tang, the blue hippo will not be a problem b/c even though they are tangs their color and oddly shaped oval shape differs significantly from the yellow and the sailfin. The main problem with territory issues will be between the sailfin and the yellow because they both have similar color and shape. Have you considered any from the Naso family (Lopezi, vlagimi, blonde naso, naso) all would mix well. But main thing is buy bigger b/c once a fish has established its territory a smaller tang is an easy target, but a bigger one will be more threatening.
Most important with tangs, is they often come with hitchiker parasites, especially the blue hippos. QT is crucial for tangs to get them eating (tangs together will be continuously competing for food in your DT, so you want them eating before you put them in there) and you really dont want to have to tear your DT apart to treat parasites NOT FUN. As everyone has said moving the LR will help as well you can also float them in a bag on top of the water for a while to see what your fish will do to them in the bag, if they wack it with their spikes chances are they will do that when you let them in the tank
One thing filtration wise that tangs seem to have done best with in my past exp. is a refugium. Their color has been brighter, and they love the fresh Macroalgae. Big plus for tangs.

ilovemytank

So I think we can all sum this up with the correct answer being; All things are possible. We each are limited to power of filteration, stock load, whether we target corals, fish or an equal balance and our maintenance habits. My tank is a 125 but with the additional stock load I have, then three tangs wouldn't be good. I also agree with the others who have successfully had more tangs. So you are given some great advice on both sides and its now up to you to make a choice. I wish you the best with whatever choice you make.