3 X 400 too much for 125 gal?

fishman122

I have a 125 gallon FOWLR that I was wanting to put corals in. I have 55 and 29 reef tanks that are several years old w/ pc's, so I do have some experience with corals, but not halides. A friend gave me a good deal on some halides so I took em, (the 3 X 400 w/10k bulbs-PFO ballast, 2x55pc) for $150). but after i bought them I was thinking that might be overkill on a 125, since I've heard the general rule of thumb is 2-5 wpg. anyone ever put this much light over a 125., btw, each light has separate cord

scsinet

That's an awful lot.. you may be approaching the amount that could burn your corals.
I'd use 3x250 watt for this. If you decide to do it, you can likely sell the stuff you have for more than you paid for it.

fishman122

i've heard the thing with halides is that they can penetrate into deeper water than pc's., so would if make a difference if i raised the lights higher off the aquarium or if i just lit the the halides on the ends of the tank and the pc's and left the halide in the middle off?

S

supermanvx

i was thinking of just having the two on. or raising it higher. but then you would have to remember it will start too look unattractive with just bright lights in the corners...or your lights 20" above the tank...or sell your 400w ballasts or if its 1200w ballast...either or, you can sell/trade the ballasts and even the 400w bulbs, for a 525w ballast and 3 175w bulbs or a 750w ballast with 3 250w bulbs...just an idea...but SCSInet is the one to go for on lights...he helped me pick out mine, and i love them
goodluck

scsinet

Raising them would help, turning one off would help (although it would cause a dark spot in the middle).
You may think you are saving money, but you need to consider the amount of money required to run twice as much light as you need, and the amount of heat. Without figuring ballast draw (so these estimates are conservative), if you look at 12 hours per day, 3x400 vs 3x250, and 9cents per KWH, you are looking at a cost savings of $177 per year in electricity alone, not to mention dealing with the heat these lights are putting into your tank and home. ... plus the dark spot.
Not saying what you should do... just food for thought.

fishman122

thanks for all your advice guys,(the set up is 1 dual 400 ballast and one single ballast that also has the 2 x 55 ballast in with it, would it work to put the one 400 over the middle and run (2) 72 in vho's with it(720 watts? or still too much or bad arrangement? :happyfish

S

supermanvx

IMO youll have unattractive viewing...like he said you would have a dark spot if you had 2, the ends...if you jus thave the one in the middle, it wont be so bad, but the ends of the tank will be in the dark, it wont be so bad, because the halide will reflect light out. and the VHO will help fill in the gaps...i am assuming the VHOs are actinic? and there are two? on on each side of the halides?

fishman122

i think i will try to sell/trade off the 400's for smaller. also, if you had to pick two of the three(halides, pc's,and vho's) which two would be the best overall

S

supermanvx

i had VHOs when my 180 was fish only, but now its a reef, and i have MH/PCs

acrylic51

400W MH's are way to much.....Your going to see the electricity bill roll, and the heat......What type of reflectors are you using? I would consider at the most using 2 of the 3, but working with your spacing of the MH's to eliminate or minimize any shadowy areas.........I would also suggest raising the canopy quite a bit.....Do you have a chiller????

lubeck

There are moderators on this site with "extreme" watage. I don't think you have too much lighting. However, you will have serious issues with heat and should use fans and possibly a chiller if the fans don't work. Start with the mh's up 20" or so off the water like you said and slowly lower them to 14", 1" a week should acclimate your corals nicely.
Depending where you live will depend on how much your electric bill goes up. It may be worth holding onto the 400w.
IMO, the amount of lighting is not over kill, the heat will have to be delt with though.

acrylic51

Heat is going to be the issue and electrically speaking it's a waste.....250W DE would be just as good as 400W SE.....and less energy.....