30 gallon lighting

bandman

I know MH lights need to be so high off the water, but do VHO lights? I was wondering if I could just put them in to my hood, or would I have to modify it. And will VHO lights work for corals in a 30 gallon?

reefnut

VHOs will work for many corals. They should still be a little off the water... what kind of hood do you currently have??
Just a FYI, if you don't already know... VHOs need a special ballast so retro fitting them into some hoods could be tricky.

bandman

I dont know what kind of hood it is. It's a rectangle and the light sits on top of a clear plastic part.
Thanks for the heads up on the ballast. Will a DIY kit take care of that, or would it be better to just buy a new fixture?

reefnut

By the sounds of your existing hoods you will need a new fixture or a canopy that you could install a retro fit kit in.

bandman

Thanks for all the help.
I'm gonna try to get a retro fit. I know coralife is a good brand, but it is too wide for my canopy. I was wondering if Sunpaq was a good brand.

scubanoah

i just installed a 260watt diy kit from sunpaq on one of my smaller tanks. it was very easy to install, the kit is very good quality, and it was very inexpensive.