30 Gallon SPS Reef Build

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/387844/30-gallon-sps-reef-build/340#post_3501972
I'm dripping all day a d night. Gonna need a bigger light for fuge. Prob gonna need to add more kalk to top off. Going for 3 tsp per gallon
Your wasting 1tsp if you are doing 3 tsp per gallon... calcium can only saturate so much water. 2 tsp is about all that it is able to do, unless you add some vinegar - then you can get another half a teaspoon if your lucky. Save your kalk and don't think that more is better.
In my experience with kalkwasser, I mixed in 2 tsp per gallon of fresh water, let it sit 24 hours in a jar with a lid/cover and let a crust develop on the top and a sediment form on the bottom. Then, I'd insert an airtube into it hovering just over the sediment - where only the clear water was dripping in the tank. I'd typically start dripping kalk into my tank either right at lights out or early in the morning (half the night cycle of the tank.)
Did you end up getting that kalk stirrer???
By the way, a cheaper alternative to the kalk powder sold in fish stores is actually Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime - you can buy a pound of it for $3, instead of kalkwasser that is half a pound for $22. lol

lubeck

Why do I need a kalk stirrer? I bought a 5 gal container with tight fitting lid. Added 10 tsp of kalk and poured 5 gal of water in and shook it for 10 seconds. Let it set for an hour and Lu my tube in half way. What's the stirrer for?
The thing is my ph is not going up like I thought it would when adding kalk. After reading my apex it looks like just before lights out its at 8.09 and goes as low over night to 7.84.
I will prob end up adding a very small amount of vinegar to be able to add more kalk. The big question is, which I haven't tested for yet, is to see if the kalk is holding my calcium and alk steady. I will test them tomorrow.

geoj

I will prob end up adding a very small amount of vinegar to be able to add more kalk. The big question is, which I haven't tested for yet, is to see if the kalk is holding my calcium and alk steady. I will test them tomorrow.I would skip the vinegar in your tank, just because it sounds like you tend to error on the under feeding side of things. The vinegar will feed the bacteria and pull out more nutrients and make your corals fade in color. There is also a chance of a bacterial bloom from an overdose just like with the potassium.

snakeblitz33

The vinegar doesn't go in the tank, it goes in the actual kalk top off. It brings the pH down some and makes the kalk able to saturate the water more.
With your size tank, doing that is absolutely unnecessary.
You haven't been checking your calcium and alkalinity all this time??? Better do it ASAP.

spanko

Ph 7.84-8.09? I think you are chasing ghosts here. These are fine readings for the time of day they are taken.
I agree with
GeoJ, If you don't want to increase your feeding you will starve out your coral by increasing the bacteria activity/feeding.

lubeck

Alk is at 7.7 and cal is 430. Before I started dripping I was at 9.3 for alk and 430 for cal. I dot think the kalk is going to work with my high sps load. Any suggestions? I had better control with the two part
Thanks for the info Henry. I didn't know these were acceptable levels

snakeblitz33

Possibly stick with two part and an automatic doser then.
Or you could look back into that aquamaxx mini HOB calcium reactor again.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/387844/30-gallon-sps-reef-build/360#post_3502031
Alk is at 7.7 and cal is 430. Before I started dripping I was at 9.3 for alk and 430 for cal. I dot think the kalk is going to work with my high sps load. Any suggestions? I had better control with the two part
Thanks for the info Henry. I didn't know these were acceptable levels
That's really interesting - what is your magnesium reading? If your alk and calcium are that unbalanced, it may be a problem with magnesium instead of your kalkwasser drip.
Check and see if it is low or not.

spanko

Just as a reference Mag should be roughly 3 times calcium at normal sea water parameters.
So a 450 calcium reading would equate to 1350 mag.
So if you are balance with your calcium reading of 430 you should have a reading of around 1290 for mag. Then you can start to raise all three to the normal sea water levels.
Don't chase the Ph. You will go crazy. Just try to get a stable number. If it is pretty constant at 8.09 in the evening and 7.84 in the morning you are in good shape.
After you get things back in balance using a 2-part and mag supplement so you can target each then you should be okay with the kalk as maintenance. Your SPS won't matter, Kalk will work.

lubeck

I just ordered another Doser for the mag. I will stick with the kalk and tune it in with the two part. I just hope I don't have to keep tuning it. I will be leaving in December and need this streamlined. My goal is not have to 2 part dose any longer. It's strange that my alk went down and my cal remained. Any ideas

lubeck

Good read Henry. It helps to be reminded to slow down and that things aren't really as bad as one might think. Patience is a virtue and something that have very little supply of.
I'm still In the middle of reading ORP from Randy. Interesting and complicated.

lubeck

Yes there is a mobile version for SWF!!!! Yes! Most of my posts are from my phone.
I bought another reactor so I can run carbon and phos. Hopefully it works.
Anyways. I'm about to do a water change but before i do I'm testing all my parameters to see how my ato and dosing is going. Hopefully I'm balanced.
I really need to get my algae unde control and considering going to feeding every other day. I have a flame angel and don't think it will like that bit something's got to give. Unless someone else has any ideas on how to control portioning better?
On another note. The new kessils are cooking I've had to turn them down more but am seeing a lot of white tip growth on most of the sps.

lubeck

I took my first readings and they weren't good for cal and alk. Alk was 6.7 and cal around 360. It doesn't seem the kalk drip is working. I really wanted to avoid using 2 part but it seems I may have to often thoughout the week. I know that my readings were stable with two part before starting so I'm confused why its not working.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubeck http:///t/387844/30-gallon-sps-reef-build/360#post_3502745
I took my first readings and they weren't good for cal and alk. Alk was 6.7 and cal around 360. It doesn't seem the kalk drip is working. I really wanted to avoid using 2 part but it seems I may have to often thoughout the week. I know that my readings were stable with two part before starting so I'm confused why its not working.
post your kalk procedure.

lubeck

I mix 10 tsp in 5 gal by shaking the jug a couple times. Let set for a few hours then hook up the Doser. I dose 50 ml. Per hour. 24 hours per day.