30 gallon too small?

P

pakman

I have a 30 gal tall and i want to know about how many agressive fish/animals i can fit in it i was thinking dwarf lion, maybe a trigger, and an eel. any suggestions on some good combos are apreciated.

jake22

The trigger wont do good in a 30 gallon, and you probably will have to get one of the smaller eels. The lion would be fine

I have a Dwarf Fuzzy Lion and a Snowflake Eel in my 30g.
They get along great..well..they dont actually notice each other..
I also have a huge hermit..

reeferdude

Well I have had a small dwarf lion in a 10 gallon, and I have kept a 7 inch snowflake eel in a ten gallon (not the same tank.) I have had a lot of success with both and most people tell that it isn’t possible but the way i look at it, its my money, my tank, my decisions.

moraymike

I've been keeping a small clown trigger, a small humu humu, and a small zebra moray in a 30 gallon for about one year. I'll probably need to upgrade in a year or two, but everything has been going well thus far.

jake22

reefer dude what happened to the dwarf fuzzy that was in your ten gallon?
Besides the fact that triggers should not be kept in 30 gallon tanks, they might also nip at your lions fins.

reeferdude

Well first off I have never had a fuzzy dwarf, I did have a dwarf in one of my 10s but come to find out he was just a really big Volitan so I took him back to the lfs cause I didn’t have a place for him. But like I said, my tanks, my money, my decisions. If I want to go out and buy a $400 dollar Black Tip Reef Shark and put him in a goldfish bowl its my decision..

M

mr hanky

as the last month or so has gone by i have read a lot of posts you have written into and you keep saying my money my tank my desicions, but i feel and i think i speak for 95% of the people on this board you are in the wrong hobby!!!!!!!!!! these fish are part of nature just as you are!! what if god decided to play with his fish tank we call earth and decided to put you in a 6ftx6ft room for the rest of your life?! dont you think that serious thought and caring should be used when taking care of another form of life that we all care so much about and spend our hard earned money to take care of and preserve this growing and very fascinating hobby. all im saying is its people like you that make lfs owners not want to screw with this because they think that the next person that buys a 100$ fish or coral is going to

[hr]
and complain wen the kill it because of thier stupidity.. please before you convince another person to do something stupid like put a black tip reef in a 10 gal tank to do their homework and study what their doing as to what maybe best for these animals to make good descions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! robby

moraymike

Yeah, I don't have a big problem with starting small lions and triggers off in small tanks, but we shouldn't plan to keep them there indefinitely. I'm currently in the process of moving some of my "baby eels" (they aren't babies anymore) from a 30 galon into a 55 gallon so they can have enough room. As they grow, I'll continue to move them into bigger tanks. Eventually, they'll make it to my 110 gallon.

ryebread

Thanx Robbie,
I was going to post nearly the same thing until I saw your's. The fact that I have $300 and a 10gal. tank doesn't mean I should have the right to put (squeeze) large fish in there. If you are into killing stuff just because it is your right, that is okay. I think they have groups for that kind of thing.

M

mr hanky

you do have the right to do what you want with your money,time,fish, its just the fact you seem like you ask questions from people who know what they are talking about and then take it with a grain of salt.. baisically if you dont care, why do you ask??????? people on this board are trying to learn and share good experiances so to help others not make immature mistakes. you are a new member as am i so dont act like you know everything just to impress people. if sprung dosent know it all we sure as hell dont!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! robby

P

pakman

If i put a 3 in lion and a 5 in eels in the tank how long till the lion is too big? a year, also if an antenia (?)lion only grows to be 6in would that fit in a 30 gal.

WOW!
One Snowflake in a 30..
An antennata lion gets around 8" i believe..
Go for a dwarf fuzzy or a FuManChu lion, and a snowflake eel.
Depending on the snowflake eel, you may need to upgrade the tank in the future.
James:)

donkeykong

What I find interesting is that if you put a great dain in a 5'x5' cage and keep him there you can be reported for cruelty to animals but if you keep a 16" naso tang in a 20gl tank that is alright and nothing can be said.

u235a4

To everyone.
in somewhat of reefer dude "defense" we can complain all we want and he most likly won't change. Also i do believe you can load a Large tank more then small tanks. But BUT... i have to agree with everyone else that there is a point when something is two big or is going to get to Big for s/he's inviroment and the bigger the tank the better off and my feeling if you don't the money to put in a large tank to keep the large animals then one really needs to settle for the smaller ones. Best thing one can do is reaseach what you want to death on the net or lfs or friends and then make a logical descion on the facts.

M

mr hanky

i agree with what you said! its just the fact that this person is 17 years old and acting like it. he trys to give good help but lets his immaturity and lack of knowledge show in his actions. all i intend to accomplish by that post is to let him know that we all need to put alittle thought into our statements as well as actions because people ask our opinions to learn not to waste time online!! im not trying to bash him and i apologize if thats the way it sounded but im young (24) as well and i dont want people taking me the way they may take him (to young to realize). as i have been in the hobby for 3 yrs and feel like i have a firm grip on this. i also have worked at my lfs for the last year to gain as much time and experiance as possible!! (and a discount!!!!!!!!) robby

watcher

im 15, and i have been keeping saltwater tanks since i was 11, its not about the age, its about how selfish someone is, I just bought a 8" snowflake moray, about as thick as a pencil, before next summer i plan to have it in a 4 foot 55g tank with 2 yellow tailed damsels, and 1 coral beauty, most people will agree this is exceptable stocking levels,this said
u have to remember that some people wont do what is right, they do only what they want. obviously this guy has been misinformed up the wazoo, and thinks that his lfs knows best, no matter how much we tell him he is not going to follow this advise, we shouldn't yell at him, but at his lfs, who has the biggest pull in his decision

M

mr hanky

like i said earlier im not bashing him for being young or nieve, i just dont want someone to pollute clear minds.! it sounds like you may have a better grip on this hobby than most. good luck in your experiances. robby

P

pakman

Thanx for the advise:rolleyes:
some of you sound a little bored a dwell on a subject that was dropped after the sixth thread. lets try and focus on what is important.:cool:

jake22

Pakman i think a dwarf lion and one of the smaller snowflake eels will be fine in a 30 gallon tank.