300 gal reef lighting question

rngpw1028

Ok I have been messing around in the saltwater hobby for a while now, but I'm not willing to go as far as to say I know a lot about it. My question for everybody is, what Kind of lighting should I use? I curruntly have a 90 gallon with 2-250 watt Metal Hallides and 2-65 watt pcs. Ive never experemented with t-5's but I have heard good things. Well as far as the tank goes it is only 24 inches deep and I want to be able to keep any thing that I come accross that I really like. Some concerns of mine are electric bill, effeciency and appearence. I really like my water to look blue. Of course there is always cost to keep in mind as well as long term cost. So if any body has any ideas they would be greatly appreciated. ohh the tank is also 72'' long.

jonthefishguy

what is the actual dimension of your tank. 72 inches is kinda small for the length if the depth is 24 in order for it to be a 300, unless it is 40 inches wide. If your dimension is 24 , 24 ,72 thats not a 300. Thats a 180.

rngpw1028

Originally Posted by jonthefishguy
what is the actual dimension of your tank. 72 inches is kinda small for the length if the depth is 24 in order for it to be a 300, unless it is 40 inches wide. If your dimension is 24 , 24 ,72 thats not a 300. Thats a 180.
I know the tank is 72 inches long and 24 inches deep, I cant find my tape measure but it is almost twice as wide as it is deep. It used to be the display in my local fish store until they went out of business and I bought it. i will try to post some pics but I have never done it before.

rngpw1028

okay well if it is wider than it is taller then it just might be 300 if it is 40 inches wide.
yeah it is quite a bit wider I couldnt get a good side angle shot because the tank is close to the walls on both sides in the room that it is in, but do you have any suggestions on lights?

jonthefishguy

I use Blue line square pendants. They are mogul and have pc's with them. Personally I like them. Some people like HQI's but I will tell you this. 10k is from 0 to 30 ft, more of a white look. 14k is 30 to 60 ft depth, a bit more blue. 20k is below 60ft and is a deeper blue. So it truly is up to you. Many people go with 14k and 20k. I prefer 14.

rngpw1028

I use Blue line square pendants. They are mogul and have pc's with them. Personally I like them. Some people like HQI's but I will tell you this. 10k is from 0 to 30 ft, more of a white look. 14k is 30 to 60 ft depth, a bit more blue. 20k is below 60ft and is a deeper blue. So it truly is up to you. Many people go with 14k and 20k. I prefer 14.
where can I go to check out a set of what you are using? Have you had any problems with any thing and how long have you been using your set? as far as cost how do they compare to halides t-5 or vho's?

jonthefishguy

you can see them at champion lighting. They run 430 retail for a 250 watt. I have been using these light setups for years. No problems.