30g Dt and 20g Frag tank.

dplantz

So I want to setup a 20g long frag tank, and Im wondering if they are fairly stable alone, because Its a smaller capacity, I was worried that it could flux too much.
Anyway I was wondering if I should have this tank standing alone, or inline with the 30g Dt. The only problem I have with putting it inline, is that I have a soon to be spare HOB filter (the Emperor 400, and Red Sea Prizm) and skimmer, so I wouldn't need to buy anything for that (and the filters already full of good bio).
Anyway I was wondering if anyway has had good succes with keeping some clams and sps in a 30g Dt alone, no sump or anything, just straight 30g of total volume.
To help see your feedback Im starting a poll.
And of course I can't forget to say thanks to everyone who contributes!

mr_x

alot of people have success with tanks much smaller than 30 gallons. check out the nano forum. unless you are thinking of introducing frags to your frag tank from unknown, or strange sources, and are afraid that they might have parasites or bad hitchers, i would connect them together.

dplantz

Ok thanks, I had it in my head all along to connect them, and when I think about it, the cash from the skimmer and filter and misc. others will cover the cost of a good overflow and pump anyway. Got any reccomendations for a good non drilled overflow? I was thinking one of the u-tube styles as I heard that CPRs overflows aren't very good. But who knows?
Oh and I would be dipping the corals before the introduction anyway and most of the frags will be my own.

mr_x

alot of people here lean towards the J tube overflows. i like the cpr overflows better. i had a couple J tube overflows fail to restart after a power loss, and then i switched to a cpr overflow with aqualifter pump, and it always restarted.
i guess people don't want to rely on yet another pump in their system, but i just feel more secure with them.

dplantz

I had thought about the CPRs are I know they are well constructed, and the aqualifers only like 10-20$, so thats like 100$ and a mag drive or other pump is maybe 50$ so 150$ for an inline tank isn't bad. Plus I can probabley get that stuff for half used so I think I got my setup idea done. Now just tons of yard work to get the $ lol. Plus I feel safer with 50g of water that 30 and 20, because I have had my 50 for 2 years with no trouble.

eklikewhoa

I have read a lot and seen a lot of the CPR overflows fail.
I myself as well as friends have used the std. U-tube overflow and if set up right it will never lose siphon. I have one that has been running for about 16yrs now with zero problems and that is going through quite a few hurricanes/power outages here in Tx.
As for your frag tank....
I would probably go with something big like a 40g breeder which would allow for less fluctuation and if you are good about checking/treating for nasties the I would go with a frag/DT plumbed together....that way the work is less when it comes to maintenace and then teh water parameters will be the same.

dplantz

Well if it has worked to well, could I get a brand name on it? Sounds good. As for the frag tank, Im jus going with the 20g long because its only about 15" deep and 36" long, I have had it for 2 yrs in the attic, and I have a used 4 bulbs T-5 fixture for it. Where in Texas do you live?

eklikewhoa

I'm in Houston.
As for the brand....doesn't really matter if it's a std. overflow box with the U-tube.....I have several that have worked flawlessly - Eshopps, Amiracle,Pro-clear and no names.
Didn't know you had the tank already....Run what you got already! Saves on the total cost!

dplantz

Well I didn't like the tank as it was a show tank, too tall and narrow. Plus the difference for lights for a 48" tank vs. a 24" tank was about 200-300$, and I would need to get a sump/wet dry under the tank and that would cost at the cheapest 200$. After I've sold my current tank and supplies, the overall loss from trading systems is only about 100$, and my new tank confinsates for that with better dimensions, a built in fuge, and an open top for better temp.

dplantz

So you have had good succes with Pro Clear? They were so affordable that i was afraid they were cheaply made. Anyway problems with em? If I got an aqualifter would that help?

eklikewhoa

they are all designed very similar.....I have never had the need to use any kind of contraption on a simple overflow to keep it working.

dplantz

Well i know that they work, its just how well. I guess my main question was did it have any restart problems or air accumulation