330 GALLON Reff tank diary

hefner413

Originally Posted by shark bait
I did ot get a reply on the above and also has anyone ever used powerheads other than the maxi jets on a wave maker, i need more flow than the 1200 can spit out.
I saw somebody who put Koralia's on a waver maker. After pulsing for a while, they started clicking and messing up. So I would say Koralias are a no. Not sure about others.

ocellaris_keeper

I did ot get a reply on the above and also has anyone ever used powerheads other than the maxi jets on a wave maker, i need more flow than the 1200 can spit out.
actually the cheaper and safer route is to go with more lower output power heads aligned together using a wavemaker.
that way you can have a failure with a powerhead and only minimally effect your current flow.
BTW - I was snorkeling in Hawaii earlier this year and you'd be real surprised at the intensity of the current most reef animals enjoy.
I really learned a lot about natural water flow - animals that don't like high water flow will move to safer places on their own but most really enjoy being rocked back and forth and knocked about, and to be honest it was quite soothing.

S

shark bait

Well I am having a major issue with my stupid chromis, as they are ending up stuck in my overflow. so i'm down to like 8 now it is quite sad. I am going to keep one of the powerheads, and buy 3 of the maxis 1200 and line them up. I am also pulling out all my bio balls and going to work on a new live filter system as I think the balls are working to good and will not take bio load changes. they just bulid up and dump the no3 back in the tank. so any one use a tank that has only natural reef filter stuff.??

S

shark bait

the over flow is strong, and at night they for some reason hide in the rocks by it and I find theim in it or stuck in the grill of it. none of my other fish go in that area, and I have never had any other fish end up in it. Chromies must be the DODO bird of the ocean, man they are as stupid as goldfish. And I do know it is only a fish, but man they are dumb. They are truly like gold fish in almost every regard. If you had a group of 10 chromis and 10 goldfish, they would act the same even right down to the way they eat. They act like they cant get enough. It is crazy I tell you. So look for dodo chromis. An for you yonger folk a dodo bird is like the ones from the movie ice age and were last know to walk the earth in the 1600's.
still any one have some great Ideas on what to do in my sump once I pull all the bio balls???

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by MIKE22cha
So first it was a shark tank, then an aggressive fowlr, now a reef!

Anyways looks great!

You like the Bolts right now they suck, pissed aboUt the loss tonight. FYI
YOU DON'T LOOSE ON A TURN OVER WHEN IT COULD HAVE BEEN A 10 PT GAME....

dmitry

If the flow there is too strong for fish - you might try to put some kind filter there, like a filter pad. Or gutter guard, or something.

hefner413

Originally Posted by Dmitry
If the flow there is too strong for fish - you might try to put some kind filter there, like a filter pad. Or gutter guard, or something.
yeah, something - I would be going nuts seeing fish go down the drain

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by Dmitry

I could do a screen mesh around it how ever it could collect debrits and cause a spike in the tank. so best to let it flow, and if i restrict the flow I could have a over flow in the tank from the pump puting more water in the tank than going into the sump.
i will just have to buy the XXL chromies as I have yet to loose on of them. My 6 line and small clown stay away, but chromies need to go to OZ and get a brain.....

S

shark bait

I took these on delay slr digital manual shot, not an easy thing to do, abd the shot of the carpet is a delay multi shot save them ans flip back and forth and it looks like it is moving supper cool. Enjoy them.. Note the photo with out the clowns but it is just a photo focus change but they realy are in the pic. CRAZY what a focus change can do.

S

shark bait

the first photo is with light it is cool what a real shot looks like. above I mean!!

S

shark bait

this photo is crazy it is out of focus and the clown fish are gone in a flash, no pun here...

S

shark bait

So added some fish today here are some pics. The cleaner shrimp is going to wotk on my red sea regal angel

ledzep fan

WOW!! Your tank is stunning...what kind of corals do you plan on having in there?? How much did the Regal cost you if you don't mind me asking?? More pics please!!!

So I have had some major set backs and all to do with faulty and bad products. So in light of that I have, after may hours of thought with my wife, scrached the Shark tank, Srcached the Big bad fish tank and opted for the nice ohhh and awwww reef tank we have all come to love.
My prior tank https://www.saltwaterfish.com/vb/showthread.php?t=271929
has had some major changes, First I replaced all the lights with a single 72" HQI/PC set up with 1134 total and 750 from HQI then added a top of system, a wave maker from red sea and even went with a big bad 1/3 hp chiller. Also added 30lbs more of tonga branch rock with red mushrooms on it. All this cost me a small fortune. more than my first 100g tank. So lets hope all goes well...................For fish I have 15 large blue chromis, one XL gold head goby and one Bangi ( needed more.) From here I plan to add:
15 chalk bass
5 bangi
1 longnose hawk
1 blonde naso male
1 6 line
mated pair false percs
mated pair clarki farm raised
lots of corals
1 purple carpet, or rose bta
1 cleaner shrimp
5 sally long foots
1 sira lanka blue starfish
and maybe these
chevron tang
flame angel
potters angel
school of anthis
scotts fairy
Any thoughts ideas and or other are more than welcome
zebra eel
I have a question for you and anyone els who knows what is the trick for keeping, what my pet store calls "Pumpkin Zinia"???????

S

shark bait

Originally Posted by LedZep fan
WOW!! Your tank is stunning...what kind of corals do you plan on having in there?? How much did the Regal cost you if you don't mind me asking?? More pics please!!!

i got a deal on it but it was listed at $159 as it is quite large. I would not keep any other angel with one and the tank must have all live rock and sand for it to live. Also calm tank mates like I have are a must for this timid fish. I have him on nori for the time being.

S

shark bait

"I have a question for you and anyone els who knows what is the trick for keeping, what my pet store calls "Pumpkin Zinia"???????"
I would need to see a pick and I could pull my book on it. I have a huge libary of books on fish and also my own I have made from my own research and findings I could use. Let me know.
I plan on some sps on the top of the tank and softies and shrooms and meat and branis and clams with some pulse corals on the lower to bed of the tank. it is 36" deep and I have 50 lbs of super high grade show rock on it's way to me to fill the gaps