36g?

TopherNAlaska

36g considered a nano? I've heard they are actually not good for beginners, as they are harder to keep. My tank will be 36g and I'm fresh on the block. Live rock? Fake Rock? Live sand? As a biginner what is best to start? Do I need the whole under tank sump system? Totally overwhelming the amount of plumbing I've seen on YouTube. I'm not afraid of getting to that point but I'm just starting out.

TopherNAlaska

36g considered a nano? I've heard they are actually not good for beginners, as they are harder to keep. My tank will be 36g and I'm fresh on the block. Live rock? Fake Rock? Live sand? As a biginner what is best to start? Do I need the whole under tank sump system? Totally overwhelming the amount of plumbing I've seen on YouTube. I'm not afraid of getting to that point but I'm just starting out.
I want a good echo system and I don't want fish deaths and plagues of disease.

bang guy

First order of business is to determine what the long range plan is for the 36 gallon. I would not consider it a nano tank, just a small saltwater.

Try to find a picture of a small SW system that you're looking to be similar to.

The sump type system increases your chance of success but is a lot more initial work to set up. You can be successful without it, it just makes it easier to succeed after the initial setup.

lmforbis

First off, I'd invest in a good book. This one has been highly reccomended.
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-conscientious-marine-aquarist-robert-m-frenner/1119159758?ean=9781890087999

I'd do at least some live rock + some dry rock. Dry rock is cheap live rock is pricey. Having a little live rock will make your dry rock live in a few weeks. I'd skip the live sand and just get regular argonite sand (not silica sand) it will become live pretty quickly.

While the tank is cycling do as Bang says. Plan out what you want in the end. Research research and then a bit more research for good measure. The better you plan the better the chance things will be go well. What you add in the future, will depend on what you already have so if you have a master plan things will come together easier. The equipment will, to a degree, dictate what you can put in it.

I agree a sump is a good way to go. You can build your own out of a small tank like a 10-20 gallon. It adds water volume which adds stability. It is also a place you can put equipment. I don't run a "filter" I use live rock in the tank and sump and a protein skimmer in my sump as my filtration.