37 gallon xtra tall

beanie

any sugguestions for this tank...? I got a 90 aggressive and want something new! suggestions for lighting filtration
thanks

beanie

reef... crabs, small fish, corals!! i got 100lbs live rock in my other tank im gonna put in the 37gallon, with some live sand. I want plants... and a manderin goby, but i hear its basically punishment to own one cuss they only eat pods... is there a way to buy these and raise them in my tank for many months befor purchasing one..?

dfishh

if its exttra tall, it will need more liting for a feef and u cant really go by watts per gallon cuz less intense lites cant lite all the way to the bottom of the tank.
DAVE

beanie

what would u suggest... I figure 5in sand bed, plus all the live rock will put the corals up higher, but what kind of light should i go with?

dfishh

good plan, liting depends on on how much money ur willing to spend. mostly evryone would say MH but i wouldnt cuz i cant afford it. also depends on if u wanna make ur own hood or buy a striplite. MH could lite the wholej tank better and reach the bottom, but if u put all the corals at the top near the lites, PCs mite work. but MH will allow u to get acro and stuff
DAVE

E

elan

its a hard coral and needs intense lighting..
what are the dimentions of your tank?

beanie

er I dont have it yet. its a standard 37 xtra tall i belive its a 30 gallon with a few extra inchs Up

dfishh

acroporia, its a hard coral, and stuf is other hard corals. anyway, if u get teh tank tell us the demensions
DAVE

hondo

I have a 37g tall that I turned into a reef over a year ago. I went with 1 175wMH and 1 75w VHO actinic for lighting. My lighting was DIY so very cheap. I've attached a phot of my 37g reef. One good thing about the 37g tall tank is you can put in a nice DSB without losing much of your water column

beanie

nice tank... I was thinking the same thing. I wanted 4 inch's plus... and does your tank heat up any with the lighting. Do u run a chiller or anything?

hondo

no chiller, no real heat problems other than summer months when the outside temps get to 90 but then I close up the apartment and turn on the AC. I run a small sump which also helps dissapate the heat though. I have a wood canopy with the MH bulb about 4" off the water. I wish my canopy was 8" tall so my bulb would be more like 6" off the water.

dfishh

wow, nice tank hondo,lites r DIY huh? good plan with the liting, if u can afford it and feel like doing it thats good thing for ur tank beanie
DAVE