37 Reef Build

tferrante

Well I was sitting around one day looking at my FOWLR 125 wishing I had some corals. But with my 4" saddleback butterfly that has been impossible. So I went down to the gargae and began looking at the small inventory of items I had and discovered it would not take much for me to set up my 37 again. I built a new canopy from some of the leftovers from my 125 build and the rest is history. I have a few more things to do, but the tank is up and running....I have a few fish and a new clam. I have never had a clam, but with 175 MH on this tank with soon to be added actinics, I thought I would give it a shot. I cant wait to begin adding an assortment of corals to this tank. I have a remora c skimmer on this tank which should keep it pristine. Here are some pics:

tferrante

Its actually called a lemon chromis. It is a fairly docile fish with nice colorings. I had it in my 125 for awhile, then moved to this tank. It was the size of a quarter when I purchased and now is about the size of a silver dollar. I felt it would be a good additon to a reef tank with its bright white and yellow coloring.

tferrante

I guess the tank was kind of boring when I first set it up... so I thought I would post some pictures of some new frags. Setting up a reef again is awesome. Here's a pic of my old 55 reef tank. I was such a lucky newbie...then some pics of my new stuff in my 37.
Old 55 Reef

My new 37....some frags

snakeblitz33

Nice start.
You need to move that GSP up to some rocks, and not on the sandbed.
Other then that, like I said, good start!

tferrante

Thanks...The GSP is on a rock at the moment and I am going to put a larger flat rock under it for more growth. I like to keep the GSP seperate or it will take over as it tried to do in my old 55G. Here's a full tank pic under a 20K MH and a new pic of my clam ...

tferrante

Quick update....just added my T5's. I thought I would try a pair of wavepoints Coral Wave bulbs which have a 420 spectrum and and a red spectrum. Below is a picture with them on with my 20K MH. It actually warms the tank slightly bringing out some reds and oranges. I like the look, but I may change out one of the T5 with just a plain 420 to tone it down slightly. Thoughts? The picture with just the 20K is in above post.
Parameters on tank are great and Remora C on this 37 does a great job. Added a little more rock for future places to add corals. Calcium is running at 460 and Alk is at 9-10. I dose with with a 2 part every couple of days.

tferrante

Thanks it will look better when I finish stocking it and I have some growth. Planning on a few chalices, a hybrid frogspawn and a hammer.

tferrante

I moved my spotted mandarin today from my 125 to the 37. My six line has been picking on
Him, so I was lucky to quickly catch him and move him to the reef tank. He immediately began eating pods I put in the tank when I set it up.

lubeck

Do you really think the tank is established enough and has enough live rock to sustain a mandarin? Tank looks good though I thought maxi clams like to be on rock?

tferrante

This spotted mandarin eats brine and mysis shrimp. I was so lucky to find him at the LFS. That is the only reason I would put a mandarin in that small of tank. I will continue to supplement the 37 with pods from the sump of my 125. I will probably get a blue mandarin for the 125 now. That's a crocea clam and it is sitting on top of two flat rocks in the sand.

tferrante

Thanks, I'm really not sure the type of rock. It's a hodge lodge of rock I had or purchased. Part of it came out of my 125, a couple of pieces came from 1 LFS and the other came from another LFS. I was pretty selective in what I bought as I wanted it to have some shape and holes in it. I think it is about 30 pounds. The coralline growth has been excellent which came from the rock out of my 125. I am dosing C- Balance every 2 to 3 days.

tferrante

Things continue to settle in nicely. A bit of bad news...lost my clam. No idea as my parameters look great. It was my first clam and may be my last. I had it sitting on top of a rock to fasten itself, but to no avail. Not sure what happened...bummer.
Added more frags...I added a tricolor acro, a hyacinth birdsnest, a snakeskin chalice, a green stylo, and some bright orange zoas (forget the name). I think I have 17different frags in this tank. I think I will let it settle.....at least until I find another nice frag

novahobbies

The new additions look good! Sorry to hear about your clam though.
I'd love to try one myself, but with the planned addition of a dwarf angel in my system, I don't know if it's worth the risk. Don't need to buy a $60 snack for the fish you know.....

tferrante

Thanks, I hated losing the clam. I researched them well before the purchase, but it just did not work out. I wanted a Pygmy Angel for the tank initially, but am concerned it may nip at my frags. I will just let that lemon chromis fill it's spot for now. I am done adding fish as I want to be extremely careful with the bioload. If I change my mind, I will take some fish out before adding more.....