So, I just finished my 2nd ever water change, the first one was 3 weeks ago just before I added life to the tank so I wasn't really paying attention to technique. This time I started by turning off my HOB filter (I have 2) and moved the power head so it would be below the level of water when I removed my 10 gallons from the tank (Its a 65 gallon tank in total) to keep the water circulating while I fussed cleaned etc. Next I removed 10 gallons of water from the tank. Then I took apart the top hoods of my HOB filters and rinsed them in the discard water (they had a lot of salt creep) and then took the carbon filter cartridges out and rinsed them as well as the secondary ammonia pad filters which I tossed (they stank to high heaven and I couldn't see being able to rinse them and put them back). I also took the receiving plastic long end of the HOB filter out and rinsed the intake areas and put those back. Okay, so then I put in my new clean water and turned my HOB filters and my second power head on. And now (thanks for bearing with me through the long story) the water in my DT is cloudy and stinky. What did I do to make it so bad. Is their something I can do next time? I feel so bad for my 2 new clowns who beat beat and hid under some live rock. Any advice??Thanks for the help!!

sepulatian

Hi there! Well, you cleaned a little too much for such a young tank. You are trying to establish the biological bacteria, which will break down fish waste. If you clean out the entire filter, all hoses, etc, then you are pretty much getting rid of most of the bacteria that has grown so far. You were right to move the power head down, and feel free to clean everything outside of the tank (tops of filters, etc) The ammonia pads, leave alone for quite some time. The filter cartridges don't need to be changed for awhile either. Be sure to mix all new saltwater for at least 24hrs using a power head.

al&burke

Did you clean your filter pads with tank water or water out of the tap. Tap water wil kill the beneficial bacteria.

flower

Possibile causes:
Was the change water clear, if you didn't mix the new saltwater up enough it is cloudy. Allow a power head to churn the new mixed water 24 hours before use.
Some gunk may have been trapped in the filter and got washed into the water when you turned things back on. If that's the case rejoice because your tank needs that bacteria.
The smell bad has me a little concerned.... bacteria does not smell good, but I don't think it smells like rot either....the media should smell very "fishy" What does your tank water smell like?

It smelled very fishy for about an hour or two later like being on the wharf. This morning everything is nice and clear. I think there was stuff in the HOB filters that got blown out when I turned everything back on, the HOB filters where downright filthy. My new clowns are in hiding (they"ve been staying in the rocks for a few days anyway) But this morning they wouldn't come out for breakfast. I'm quite worried for them. I think I stressed them out too much too soon. The water change water was clear and I had been mixing it apx 12 hours. I recheked my parameters last night before bed and they are now
before after
7/21/2011 7/22/2011
PH 8.1 8
Spec gravity 1.025 1.0235
salinity 35 33
ammonia 0 0
nitrate 0 0
nitrite 0 0
Did I change my salinity too much? I was aiming to bring it down just a tad as 1.025 is at the higher end of the spectrum and the stores seem to keep there's at 1.022, but I meant to drop it maybe to 1.024 and salinity 34 not that much

flower

LOL...Good, fishy smell is good. You say the new mix was clear before you used it, but was there residue at the bottom of your mixing tub? If your fish are stressed maybe you accidently added something else..on your hands..your hair...your cloths..spilled into the tank? Nothing you have posted would create cloudy that would stress the fish. Cloudy that stresses the fish is usually ammonia
Spec Gravity (SG) and salinity are the same thing..so how can Spec gravity be 1.024 or 35 and then be 1.035 and the "after" salinity be lower at 33? If SG is 1.035 then Salinity must also be up.
Yes bring the SG down by top offs over the next few days, not all at once. (just in case you don't know) Top off is the fresh RO water we use to keep the water at the same level. Salt does not evaporate but the water does. Top off first, then while the water is at the right level....remove about three to four cups of salt water and replace it with equal freshwater (top off RO) each day until you get the SG where it should be.
I hope that makes sense.

No, it went down a little to 1.0235. I was thinking that the difference was maybe what stressed the fish. Maybe it was something I introduced like you said though. I am using a brand new plastic suction hose thingy that I rinsed briefly in salt water, maybe it had some residue. Also I cleaned the outside glass with windex, didn't spray, put it on the cloth a wiped, maybe thats what is bothering them. Also I looked up introducing chemicles to the tank after you mentioned it and I'm thinking maybe it could be the 5 gallon home depot tubs I'm using (they were brand new not used for anything else) but they aren't food grade. I didn't notice any residue in the salt water mix but next time I'll wait 24 hours to be on the safe side. And thanks very much! I'll be keeping a very close eye on my clownies but they are still in hiding and didn't eat lunch either

1guydude

flower i think hes got it right? Sg and salinity are both lower the next day...
Anyways when i do a water change i cut all the power to the tank and turkey baster my rocks, than my substrate lightly. After that i suck out the water with my siphon thing into a bucket....add the new water and clean the filter and such in my old tank water....