3X400 watt MH and 4X160 watt vho retro

reefer_fez

I found this retro kit at a website and I was thinking about getting it for my new 210 gals. What do you guys think?
This unit is a 3X400 watt MH and 4X160 watt vho retro.
This unit measures 12 inch wide and 71 in across and is 1.5 inch thick.
This unit has a 5 year warranty on its power supply.
This bulb has 2 chords and 2 switches - 1 chord for the metal halide and one for the VHO. So you can implement the dawn and dusk effect.
This item is shipped for $40 via Federal Express Insured mail - We will make sure everything gets to you in one piece.
Unit has a separte ballast box that you can place under your tank to keep the heat down.
13k bulbs are white mixed with a little blue color
10k bulbs are crisp white.
Unit has 8 foot quick disconnect chords
Unit has 2 - 4 inch fans

reefer_fez

Originally Posted by wax32
If you like big electricity bills that's the light for you!
Money is no issue. I figure if I'm going to spend a lot of money in livestock, at least I want the lights to keep up with anything I put in there.

reefer_fez

Good plan! Should be plenty of light for anything you could want.
Thanks appreciated. Any other ideas on what equipment I should add to the system.

golfish

If you like big electricity bills that's the light for you!

Its kind of like this..."if you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the front porch"
Fez, any idea what kind of ballast and bulb they are? brand names? HQI, Pulse start...?

reefer_fez

Originally Posted by golfish
Its kind of like this..."if you can't run with the big dogs then stay on the front porch"
Fez, any idea what kind of ballast and bulb they are? brand names? HQI, Pulse start...?
The bulbs are German Made HQI's and the ballasts are made by Advance with a 5 year warranty

spsfreak100

Reefer_Fez,
That sounds like an excellent setup. From the description of the setup, these are double ended bulbs, correct? Out of curiousity, what size is your tank? I have 3x 400wt Halides over my 150 gallon which is plenty of lighting in every inch of the aquarium.
Graham

dragonboy

I'm sure he got enough money to buy any coral out there since he can afford to pay for that kind of setup and the monthly bills. Wish I can get that kind of setup if I can afford it heheheh...

golfish

Originally Posted by Reefer_Fez
The bulbs are German Made HQI's and the ballasts are made by Advance with a 5 year warranty

Sounds like a great setup to me....

oceana

sounds like a good unit to me as well. i also run 3x400 mh on our 140. IMO power is not that bad. we run around 320 bucks a month for power bills. before the tanks it was around 200. corals grow like weeds and seem to manage to gain color every day.

reefer_fez

Originally Posted by SPSfreak100
Reefer_Fez,
That sounds like an excellent setup. From the description of the setup, these are double ended bulbs, correct? Out of curiousity, what size is your tank? I have 3x 400wt Halides over my 150 gallon which is plenty of lighting in every inch of the aquarium.
Graham
The bulbs are not double ended, I think :thinking:....
My tank is 210 gals

reefer_fez

Originally Posted by dragonboy
I'm sure he got enough money to buy any coral out there since he can afford to pay for that kind of setup and the monthly bills. Wish I can get that kind of setup if I can afford it heheheh...
Dragonboy:
I'm not rich if that's what you mean. I'm in the Navy. I just know how to manage my money.

reefer_fez

Originally Posted by oceana
sounds like a good unit to me as well. i also run 3x400 mh on our 140. IMO power is not that bad. we run around 320 bucks a month for power bills. before the tanks it was around 200. corals grow like weeds and seem to manage to gain color every day.
Thank you Oceana.

cowfishrule

Originally Posted by oceana
we run around 320 bucks a month for power bills. before the tanks it was around 200.

HOLY CRAP

my electric is about 52 a month, im nervous at what my 175mh will do to my bills

oceana

Originally Posted by COWFISHRULE
HOLY CRAP

my electric is about 52 a month, im nervous at what my 175mh will do to my bills

wow talk about cheap. heck even my first appartment bill was around 100+
we keep our airconditioner down to 70 at all times so that does not help much

dejaco

Just a note from experience - with that kind of wattage running over your tank I would really look into a "chiller". I run 2 - 160 watt VHO 72" bulbs and just one 400 watt MH. Now I am running 2 Quiet One 5000 pumps too, but I had to have a chiller to keep the temp down. Just something to consider.

reefer_fez

Originally Posted by DeJaCo
Just a note from experience - with that kind of wattage running over your tank I would really look into a "chiller". I run 2 - 160 watt VHO 72" bulbs and just one 400 watt MH. Now I am running 2 Quiet One 5000 pumps too, but I had to have a chiller to keep the temp down. Just something to consider.

Already in my list of things to buy. Thanks for the advice anyways. Any other good advice?