4.7 Earthquake in LOS ANGELES CALIFORNIA

bullitr

last chino hills earthquake i was home and i just put my current tank in the wall without any support.The 300 gallon was moving violently, i pray that the tank won't crack.It was a scary day!.But i think the worst was when i was on vacation for 3 weeks 9000 miles away, i keep calling my sister everyday who live 60 miles from my old house and she's stressing about her RN finals to check my old 225 cube tank.

detane

This went from being an Earthquake topic to a whos got the best Live stock available. The fact is California has one of the worlds biggest ports, so it might have the best live stock coming in from around the world at a better price.
But on the Earthquake, how can one secure thier tank? Do u use Suction cups and brace them to a wall with a rope? how can we avoid cracks on the tank caused by the swaying of the Tank Stand?

oceansidefish

Honestly my 120 is not braced....If I was going to though I would use earthquake straps at the top of the stand to hold it to the house....I don't think there is any way to strap the tank itself. Since it's 2ft deep though as long as the stand stays the tank should too. Tall tanks are where I could see a problem

detane

Originally Posted by Oceansidefish
http:///forum/post/3045683
Honestly my 120 is not braced....If I was going to though I would use earthquake straps at the top of the stand to hold it to the house....I don't think there is any way to strap the tank itself. Since it's 2ft deep though as long as the stand stays the tank should too. Tall tanks are where I could see a problem
i agree,,

uneverno

Man,
my ex's dad had a 55 set up when Loma Prieta hit. First thing he did was run to the tank and hold it against the wall. Not an easy task when the whole house is rolling. Also prolly not a good idea with a 120g during a 6+.
Suction cups aren't going to help, and with a larger tank, I have no idea what would. Best I can think is to put the tank against a load bearing wall, screws into the studs and strap the tank and stand both to those.
That's still not gonna prevent a potentially glass breaking rock slide or water sloshing everywhere...
Hope this doesn't mean we're due up here.

zshain012

I would think the straps would help tremendously. And sorry to get off topic but Florida is on the East coast. It's warm all the time there and there is some pretty cool stuff in that there water

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3045413
Oh how i love stable Canada
None of thats stuff ever happens here. Maybe a big snow storm once in a blue moon, but nothing to bad.
What are you talking about, it is colder in your front yard than it is in my freezer. That is bad...
I don't think it would shake that much to actually tump the tank. But a stand buckling is another story.

trikonreef

we live in oregon. all we get is RAIN!!! no worries here! and it never floods so we are golden. alothough, i probably just jinxed us. crap.
im not gonna stress about it though. lately we have been havin really nice weather, although today it was really nice, lil bit of clouds, and then about 45 min ago i was outside and it started to rain!!! i was like crap!!! was nice in the 80's this weekend and now its raining! oh well. it is okay. just glad theres no earthquakes or tornadoes or anything bad around here!
Katrina
(trikonreefs wife)

oceansidefish

I am over by Disneyland....I was watching the tank and didn't even get a good sloosh. I am on a raised foundation though which will absorb more of the shock

cranberry

The first one Sunday was pretty bad in my area. Halfway through there was a jolt and it threw me forward. The tanks (all 12 of them) got a good stir and I almost lost a fish. The other 2 today were barely anything..... but enough to start thinking about preparation for the future.

flower

Originally Posted by trikonreef
http:///forum/post/3046020
we live in oregon. all we get is RAIN!!! no worries here! and it never floods so we are golden. alothough, i probably just jinxed us. crap.
im not gonna stress about it though. lately we have been havin really nice weather, although today it was really nice, lil bit of clouds, and then about 45 min ago i was outside and it started to rain!!! i was like crap!!! was nice in the 80's this weekend and now its raining! oh well. it is okay. just glad theres no earthquakes or tornadoes or anything bad around here!
Katrina
(trikonreefs wife)
Let me understand this...no earthquakes..no tornados..no disasters at all??? I thought every place had its woes. Now I know where I want to retire! I love the rain! However, I will make sure to go to high ground

stdreb27

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3046856
Let me understand this...no earthquakes..no tornados..no disasters at all??? I thought every place had its woes. Now I know where I want to retire! I love the rain! However, I will make sure to go to high ground

they have their problems, it is called high taxes. And onerous government regulations.
I'll take a hurricane less destructive than intrusive government.

uneverno

Actually, OR ranks 36th in state income tax, and they have no sales tax.
Onerous gov't regulation is a matter of opinion - plenty of states are worse.
For example, last I checked, no FLDS properties were erroneously raided at gunpoint, on a trumped up, anonymous, tip, by Child Protective Services in OR.
Whoops - I'm off topic again.
Sorry.

trikonreef

we have NO sales taxes. just income tax. plus we get money back from our pop cans! do you get that where you live? I have lived in California and visited other states, including ones on the east coast. I would rather live HERE than anywhere else. Much better!! come and visit and you will see what I am talking about!!! I guarantee you will love it!!! unless your allergic to rain! so bring your umbrella and golashes and your camera cuz we have very pretty scenery here!!!
-Trikonreef's Wife-

stdreb27

Originally Posted by uneverno
http:///forum/post/3047168
Actually, OR ranks 36th in state income tax, and they have no sales tax.
Onerous gov't regulation is a matter of opinion - plenty of states are worse.
For example, last I checked, no FLDS properties were erroneously raided at gunpoint, on a trumped up, anonymous, tip, by Child Protective Services in OR.
Whoops - I'm off topic again.
Sorry.
lol, well that was a mess wasn't it. They still are in court fighting it. But when you got old men doing those things to girls. Well, I really don't feel sorry for them all that much. Even with all this liberal, up is down, wrong is right stuff, at least get old men doing little girls is wrong, right.
It is an interesting question, if you get an "anonymous tip" that turns out to be true, from someone who is lying about who she is. What do you do? But wasn't it the feds who went in?
btw any state income tax is onerous.