4 Purple Firefish all disappeared at once?

Ds38

Got this skeleton out. Is it a firefish?

Also, the skunk clown (pic 2) is the only new recent addition. Everyone else was coexisting with the purple firefish for 2+ months.... But this skunk clown just 10 days.... But he just floats in 1 place and hasn't looked aggressive at all.

It's horrible to not know why 4 purple firefish that were 2+months established all vanished within 72 hours, while the 4 red still survive. You say they are stronger, why so cheap and purple more money? How weird...... All these theories that the damsels caused them stress for 2 months, that the sweetlips will eat them when it gets way bigger, or that my eel ate them all suddenly just gets me no where.... I guess the conclusion is just not to have purple firefish which is one more reason to quit this aquarium if I can't have the variety I want.

Ds38

My maintenance guy has a theory that the latest 50 gallon water change scared the 4 purple firefish into hiding... as of last night, 1 appeared. Because literally the 50 gallon water change was at 12pm, and by 8pm I noticed no purple firefish. It was all the same day.

I did not notice if the previous few 50 gallon water changes made them disappear for a few days. I was gone a few times. So interesting to see if the 50 gallon water change and all that water movement, sent them in hiding, but at worst, only 3 of the 4 are dead.

Also, one maintenance visit included the chiller installation, and another maintenance visit was installing a uv sterilizer.

So most of the visits thus far wasn't just testing the water or a small water change, but also bringing and installing equipment

Moving forward, what is a fair cost for a maintenance visit?

Ds38

UPDATE:

Well 4 nights later, and now 2 purple firefish are visible!!!!

The other 2 are obviously still just hiding due to the water change last wednesday or as my maintenance guys new theory is "I think it mating season. I think oct - Nov is when fish and coral breed. My damsels have made a new home a are aggressively protecting that area and the fish inside the cave. "

So moral of the story!!!! Purple and red firefish can co exist , as mine have been for months.

And the chromis , damsels, Springer damsels are not killing my purple firefish from stress

And my harlequin sweetlips also has not done anything to my firefish! Nor has my eel.

On to 4 helfrichi firefish next!!!

Imforbis: you are right though, some damsels kill the others. I had some black domino damsels and they lasted a few days.

I'm glad I can contribute to the archives because all I ever found was everybody posting about their 1 NEW firefish missing... nobody ever posted saying their established group of firefish all went missing, but don't worry, they come back!

Ds38

1 full week later after all 4 went missing at once... now all 4 are visible together!

So it could be a water change them sends them into hiding, or mating season, or who knows!

But my 4 purple firefish and my 4 red firefish, and sweetlips and damsels continue to live together for 2+ months!

I'll let you all know what happens when I add 4 helfrichi firefish soon

Ds38

Anyone know what the puffed fin means of the 1 purplefirefish? The other 3 are all slick back, fin against them, but the 1 in the distance in these pics has its fin fully open, puffed, is it the leader? The male?

All 4 are back!

Ds38

Added 2 helfrichi firefish!
Unlike the purple ones, the helfrichi never went into hiding upon adding them today! They have been visible all day!

Now 2 helfrichi, 4 purple, and 4 red white all coexisting so far! Will cross my fingers that the helfrichi survive the next few weeks

Here's a video of them all

Ds38

Anyone know how to keep royal gamma alive? Second time trying to add a batch of them, and they drop like flies instantly and/or disappear. Never had 1 alive for even an hour. I put them in and they just disappear forever. Tried a batch in May. And tried a batch today with the helfrichi and maroon clown , and dottyback. I see 2 of the 4 dottyback but zero royal gramma

lmforbis

Anyone know how to keep royal gamma alive? Second time trying to add a batch of them, and they drop like flies instantly and/or disappear. Never had 1 alive for even an hour. I put them in and they just disappear forever. Tried a batch in May. And tried a batch today with the helfrichi and maroon clown , and dottyback. I see 2 of the 4 dottyback but zero royal gramma
I’ve never been able to keep one alive long term. Others say they are easy. Typically only one Per tank. Dotties can be vicious and go after other fish with the same body type. That may be the issue. If they are scared enough they may starve.

craig085

Added 2 helfrichi firefish!
Unlike the purple ones, the helfrichi never went into hiding upon adding them today! They have been visible all day!

Now 2 helfrichi, 4 purple, and 4 red white all coexisting so far! Will cross my fingers that the helfrichi survive the next few weeks

Here's a video of them all

hey! Just said I’d chime and let you know I have 2 purple fire fish almost 2 years that I see 2 to 3 times a month in a Red Sea P650. They like to hide. Especially if in a busy community tank. So don’t write them off just yet.

also, as an FYI reading back on your earlier posts - as a side gig I mix saltwater RODI/RS (coral pro) for friends/family etc. I charge €50 for a maintenance visit. I clean the tank, empty skimmers, do WC’s & check params. If anything needs attention I’ll make suggestions where/when appropriate (keeping budget in mind) $200 is crazy money and it’s taking advantage. I’d expect a level of insurance included for that price.
If I was you I’d re-work the SLA you have with the guy. That’s just unfair, you carry all the risk & foot the bill at the same time.