40 Breeder Undecided Biotope

swimmer4uus

So about 3 weeks ago I bought a 40 breeder, called my father to start on the stand, and started my new tank. I'm moving everything from my 90 to this 40, and selling the 90
I'll post pictures first, and open this up for suggestions. Couple goals for this tank is to display symbiosis. Multiple if possible, but I understand a 40 isn't a lot of water. Anemone/clownfish will be the priority, goby/shrimp, possibly Banggai Cardinalfish/seagrass. With that being said, I'm normally very concise on what I want to do with a tank, but this one I'm just being very indecisive with the filtration. The 40 is drilled in both corners for PVC elbow style overflow. The stand is 3ft tall and I have ample room for sump/fuge setup. I'm almost wanting to do something along the line of primary dump in first fuge with macros and DSB. That will be elevated in the stand and overflowing into the sump with equipment and return pump. I have a 20 long, big 34 gallon tub, 9 gallon nano wave that would be awesome for macro, but don't see me being able to plumb it in, as well as a bioballs sorta sump thing that is currently my temporary fuge till I figure things out.
Ideas welcome....
Now for pictures

swimmer4uus

Newer Pictures

Right side of refuge elevated finally, this will house macro's for nutrient export. Left side will be rubbermaid style housing 50 lbs live rock. Both will drain into bottom fuge of Mangroves.

al&burke

Looks good, I don't know about the clay pot might have some metals in it that aren't good for SW tanks. I see you have a Coral beauty in there - has the tank cycled yet?

swimmer4uus

No cycle...pulling live rock right out of my 90 gallon that's been up almost a year. Live rock before that was used and up and running for who knows how long. This will be my second time doing this method. Had livestock from the 90 in there for 3 days. Before did water tests. PH 8.2, Ammonia, Nitrate, Nitrite all 0, and also just took some with the same readings.

swimmer4uus

He's busy keeping his pot clean! I'm looking for another, I lost the large female I had him pair up with about 2 months ago.

Added more live rock and all the corals from my 90, all softies for now.

No love for my tank, but I like posting pictures...haha

btldreef

I love 40G breeders. You're off to a great start. For what it's worth, I have started tanks the same exact way, so i understand what you did and you should be fine.
When my 40 breeder was up and running I did a anemone/clownfish, anemone/porcelain crab, sexy shrimp/frogspawn, pistol shrimp/goby combo's as well as a full reef. One of the coolest symbiotic relationships that I got comments on was the acro crab/sps combo.

nissan577

can it be you?!?! oh man how have you been?!?!?! i remember that pot from your old tank!
and hows the custom made refugium you made?
quick question bro why do you have the fuge over another tank? man hope everything is great! its been so long i dont speak you or anything lol. glad to see your back!

swimmer4uus

Yeah I'm back! Had to take a break from the tank stuff for a while as school picked up. 18 units plus 2 jobs leaves no room for my tank. Now with moving, decided to bring it back down to a more manageable size for me. Really sucks cause I'd love to keep the 90, but it's got to go. I'll reconfigure my LEDs in a hood over the 40 as well.

nissan577

yea thats right! bro its been long lol, now for the hair algae you still battling it huh? have you done anything for it?

swimmer4uus

Just put in my order for CUC, and mangroves for the mangrove tank(the one you asked why the sump was sitting on it). Also went to the LFS and got some GSP to cover the left side, and a frogspawn frag.

swimmer4uus

Macros and Plants:
Ulva
Unidentified Red Macro
Codium taylorii
Red Mangroves
Inverts:
18 Dwarf Ceriths
7 Nassarius
11 Florida Ceriths
8 Antillean Nerite, 4 large, 4 medium to small
Also stuff for new lights

swimmer4uus

Yes I still have them. They are sitting on my coffee table. I'm redoing them since they where configured to my 90 gallon and the frame is 4 ft long