40 gal breeder/ can I drill it

newfishliny

Need some help:
Can I drill the bottom of my 40 gal breeder tank, I just bought
it .Its made by all glass company , if I can where can I buy the glass bit for it. Can I also drill the back of the tank
thanks for the help
new fish

mrbubbles

You probly can buy the bit at your local hardware like lowes,homedepot,ace etc....But tell them you want to drill glass -=]:notsure:

gregvabch

you need to figure out if the glass is tempered. chances are, the bottom glass probably is, but the side panels probably aren't. do a search on google for glass drill bits, they're rather expensive and are best used with a drill press. you'd be better off having someone do it for you; my lfs does it for 25 bucks a hole. or a local glass store might do it, but you probably won't get any guarantees.

robchuck

According to AGA's 2004 technical information for their tanks, the 40 gallon breeder does not have a tempered bottom. If the tank was tempered, there would be a sticker on the bottom of the tank facing up stating that the tank is tempered and cannot be drilled. AGA doesn't temper any glass other than the bottom piece on its tanks so it is safe to drill.
I second Greg's recommendation of finding a local glass shop to do the drilling. If you don't have the bit or a drill press and are only planning on drilling a few holes, it is much cheaper to go with a local glass shop. You might even be able to find a LFS that drills tanks that will include bulkheads with the service.

chris17

So could I just go to a glass shop and have them drill an aquarium, if its not tempered?? How do you know if it is temperd or not???:notsure:

robchuck

Contact the tank's manufacturer to find out if it's tempered. Usually only the bottom glass is tempered, and with some manufacturers, they only temper tanks of 50 gallons or larger. If your tank was made be All-Glass Aquariums, you can go to their website and look at the technical specifications sheet for their tanks and find out which tanks are tempered.

phreakemup

I personally have to all-glass 40 breeders (36"Lx18"Wx16"T) that I drilled myself.. U will not have a problem drilling them on the sides or bottom.. I ran a closed loop on one of my 40's, so u will be all set..
Phreak

newfishliny

Originally posted by PhreakEmUp
I personally have to all-glass 40 breeders (36"Lx18"Wx16"T) that I drilled myself.. U will not have a problem drilling them on the sides or bottom.. I ran a closed loop on one of my 40's, so u will be all set..
Phreak

:cheer: THANKS ALOT THATS ALL A NEEDED TO KNOW, ,I WILL DRILL IT MYSELF , SOME WATER AND A BIT AND IM SET TO GO .
I LIKE THE SIZE OF THE BREEDER , I AM GOING TO AQUASCAPE IT , GLUE ROCKS TO THE BACK WALL ECT .
THANKS NEW FISH

phreakemup

Not a problem!!!!!! That's y I picked the 40 breeder too, love the dims!! Good luck, and keep us posted!
Phreak