40 Gallon Breeder Sump / Refugium Design

clem1999

I know there are many posts on DIY sump refugiums but I want to run my design by everyone for feedback on effectiveness.
This is for a 180 gallon reef tank. Currently I have an Eshopps ADV-200 but I don't care for the design for maintenance purposes. Second, my reef octopus diablo 200 flexes the front panel which scares me.
1st Section (left) - water enters the sump and and my diablo is set up here. I plan to have this section large enough to also house a small amount of rubble rock which will be stirred by a powerhead to minimize maintenance on the bottom.
- Does the rubble rock make sense here?
- Should I place both heaters in this section? I plan to rig small holders. If not, which other section (refugium, return, corner-flos)
- Should I place my temperature probe and ph probe in this section? I doubt these matter and it is probably more about where they fit best in one of the sections.
- Can the flex pipes be submerged into the water or do they have to be slightly above the surface to splash water for gas exchanges?
2nd Section (middle) - I plan to set the panel based on the min height required for the diablo. Water flow would be over the panel and thru several drilled holes midway down the panel from 1st section to the refugium. I plan to use the same type of aragonite that is in my DT not a DSB. A couple very small pieces of rubble rock and chaeto. Chaeto would be rigged higher on egg crate off the sand floor because of visual appeal to me. I would like to have a clean look in the refugium almost like a small tank. An 11" Refugium light will be installed over this section on top of a panel and lighting will be reversed from DT.
- Does flow over the panel and thru drilled holes make sense? Or would I get adequate water circulation to the bottom of the refugium by just pouring over the top?
- should I install a bubble trap between these sections?
- I have read debates on bare bottom, sand, DSB, mud, etc. Can little critters thrive on bare bottom refugiums? Or would the sand and rock house the little critters to grow?
- I have seen inverts and even a fish or two in a refugium? Is this common or even recommended?
3rd Section (right) - This is the return pump with an ATO installed. Bubble traps installed prior to reaching this section.
- Based on the concept of being gravity fed thru corner-flo design, will the water always flow match the incoming water versus the return pump? Meaning flowing over panels, thru panels, thru bubble traps, etc will that affect incoming water versus outgoing water? This may be a dumb question but it will help me better understand the theory.
Overall, am I missing any other items or are there any issues I should address other than what is listed above?
I appreciate everyone's help. I am new to the hobby and absolutely love it. I want to be effective in my decisions which is why I am seeking your input to some or preferably all of these questions.
Thank you very much!

acrylic51

Hey Clem....Not to far from your location......A good site to read on a good design for sumps would be melevsreef.com.....It goes through a lot of detail on a proper good design.....As far as the panel bulging...Yes that would be an issue to consider and IMO is that it will be an issue at some point down the road, so if it's already stressing the panel it will only get worse....Remember the acrylic will absorb water over time, so the flexing will get worse over time.....

clem1999

Thank you for referring the website. It has me strongly considering placing the refugium on the right side by splitting off one of the drain lines.
Acrylic51: we are close so if you have any good local recommendations for anything please email me.
Anyone else on the questions from my first post?
Thank you.