40 Gallon Stock List

M

moo5e

Hi everyone, I just joined this site. I just finished cycling my 40 gallon. I have around 40 pounds live sand and 35 pounds live rock. The only fish i have is a clownfish which I have had for about 7 years (use to be in a 28 gallon). I would like to do a reef eventually. I would like to get another clown but I dont know how my current clown will feel about another clown in the tank. Anyways, I would love any thoughts and ideas on a good stocking list for my 40 gallon. Fish, inverts, etc....
Thanx

J

jstdv8

Your old clown may not like a new clown buddy at this stage in life. You could try it, but you better be prepared to scoop him back out if one gets aggressive. Ive heard if there is no anemone or other major hosting area that they are less likely to get aggressive

btldreef

What type of clown is it?
Since you have had the clown for so long as a single, it is going to be hard to get it to pair. You'd probably be better off trading it in for a younger pair, but if you're like me, it's hard to get rid of a fish you've had for so long. If it's a Maroon, I'd say absolutely don't risk it. If it's an Ocellaris, your chances are much better. There will be aggression in the beginning, you just have to observe them, the new male could take a beating. (Your clown is a female).
The stocking options are really endless, but this is what I had in my 40G Breeder:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Coral Beauty dwarf Angelfish
1 Spotted Mandarin (baby, ate frozen, knew I was upgrading and would be able to move him to a bigger setup)
1 Goby
1 other fish that I can not remember right now it was a small little guy
2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
10 or so Nassarius snails
20 Trochus snails
1 Emerald Crab
a handful of blue legged hermits (I don't recommend hermits, they kill snails for sport)
1 CoCo Worm
2 Hawaiin Feather dusters (Coral Beauty ended up eating them)
1 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone with Porcelain Anemone Crab

M

moo5e

What type of clown is it?
Since you have had the clown for so long as a single, it is going to be hard to get it to pair. You'd probably be better off trading it in for a younger pair, but if you're like me, it's hard to get rid of a fish you've had for so long. If it's a Maroon, I'd say absolutely don't risk it. If it's an Ocellaris, your chances are much better. There will be aggression in the beginning, you just have to observe them, the new male could take a beating. (Your clown is a female).

The stocking options are really endless, but this is what I had in my 40G Breeder:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Coral Beauty dwarf Angelfish
1 Spotted Mandarin (baby, ate frozen, knew I was upgrading and would be able to move him to a bigger setup)
1 Goby
1 other fish that I can not remember right now it was a small little guy
2 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
10 or so Nassarius snails
20 Trochus snails
1 Emerald Crab
a handful of blue legged hermits (I don't recommend hermits, they kill snails for sport)
1 CoCo Worm
2 Hawaiin Feather dusters (Coral Beauty ended up eating them)
1 Rose Bubble Tip Anemone with Porcelain Anemone Crab
It's a Ocellaris Clownfish. I could never return him after having him so long. I'm worried that hes been alone for so long he won't be pleased with me adding anything to the tank.

mfutch

Hi everyone, I also am starting a new tank. I have a 40 gallon breeder. I am trying to figure out my stockiest. I currently have 2 Oscellaris Clownfish, a firefish, a engineer goby. Inverts: 2 turbo snails and a bumblebee snail.

I am thinking of getting:
-1 bengali cardinal
-1 flame angel or coral beauty
-1 royal gramma
-1 mandarin
-1 watchman goby

I am not sure about inverts. But would like to have some shrimp. What do you guys think?

SALTWAT3RFISH

Administrator
Staff member
Sounds reasonable. I think with bioload you'll be at a maximum. No worries though. Just make sure you keep up with chemistry testing and maintenance and you'll have an awesome tank. I actually just finished cycling a 50 breeder myself. Love shallow tanks!

mfutch

Sounds reasonable. I think with bioload you'll be at a maximum. No worries though. Just make sure you keep up with chemistry testing and maintenance and you'll have an awesome tank. I actually just finished cycling a 50 breeder myself. Love shallow tanks!
What about the inverts?

mfutch

Also, I have started to notice my female clown has been bullying the smaller male. She rams him. I haven't noticed any damage to his fins, but it looks like he has a small indent/mark on his face. I know the female needs to assert her dominance; but I also do not want her to harm my male. Should I separate them?