400 dollars to blow opn equipment...what to buy

8x8nhl

Hey guys i just got 400 dollars for report card money that is burninga hole on my pocket so i am going to buy some equipment for my tank ( comin in on thursday) its a reef and i was thinking about a uv sterilizer... or a clacium reactor, out topoff etc...... your thoughts

shrmnator

calcium reactor!! that would be the wisest of all 3 choices you have there in my opinion. the uv would be better for fowlr, the auto-topoff would be easily avoided, while the calcium reactor would make the most sense!

murph145

well what do u have now?
lets see what might be the best approach for you...
i personally like the added security of a UV filter lots of people debate this but i run it on my 180G reef
i also have a dual chambered My Reef Creations "MRC CR-2" Calcium reactor with a 10lbs CO2 bottle and a jbj dual guage regualtor and solenoid with needle valave and bubble counter... i also have a rio hyper flow 4 as the feed pump and a mag 2 as the recirculating pump and ARM media in the chambers this total setup cost me like $600+ so they get kinda pricey but if u dont have sps or clams id stick with dosing
auto top off is very cool that way u dont have to worry about your salinity swinging too much before you top off with fresh RO water....
i have one conected to my sump and it fills when it gets low that cost me about $100 and wouldnt be without one especially when running MH lighting and a high flow tank

phixer

Wholly cow all I got from my old man was a handshake. Id go with a UV sterilizer and save the rest for a bigger tank.

murph145

yeah my mom always told me that having the good grades was all the reward i needed in itself! :mad:
i never got money lol
maybe i can collect now on back reports from 20 years ago lol

8x8nhl

3weeel it wasn't 400 just off thr report card i already had 125 and my dad ows me 120 and we cot our standerdized test grades and report card back

jakebtc

top off with a resevoir is only like 100$ I would definitely do that you'll love it!
if you guys don't have an ro/di unit you may want one of those too