400W or 250W MH

cmonkey

Heres the deal, I have a 55 gallon with 70lr and very cheap lights and am looking to upgrade in a serious way. I plan on keeping sps and clams and debating between the 400w and 250w from cooltouch lighting. The difference in price is only $10 so I was leaning towards the 400w but I feel that might be a bit much (heat). Should I add the pulse start option for $25/bulb if I plan on using the 10k Ushio bulbs?
?

attml

I have 2 -250w MH & 2 -110w VHO Actenics over my 55 and IMO it is perfect to keep anything I could think of. 2 - 400w would probably be a little too much!

reefnut

Originally posted by attml
I have 2 -250w MH & 2 -110w VHO Actenics over my 55 and IMO it is perfect to keep anything I could think of. 2 - 400w would probably be a little too much!

:cool: Man that's bright :cool:

mvogel2

i'm going to buy from this guy too... i had the same question... it just seems like more will be better, especially cause there isn't too much more money involved. But i to deceided to go with the 250s i'll be getting 3 for my 6ft 125.
let me know what you think.. cool touch lighting seems really reasonably priced (in comparison to LFS) and he has 100 % possitive rating...must be doing something right.
good luck
matt

quack

U no its the depth of da water that determines MH wattage. Over 30 inches deep go with the 400's but remember the upper levels will be intense. Fer example clams and carpet anemones in a 3+ foot deep tank would "like" a 400 watter!:D

cmonkey

Thanks for the replys. I think I am going to go with the 250w and add some VHO actinics later on. Does anyone know where to get the Ushio 10k 250 bulbs, my LFS has them for $100/bulb. What would be the advantage of getting the pulse start option?

reefnut

Some European bulbs work better with (or wont work without)the pulse start ballasts. I have the dual 400w Cooltouch lighting system with the probe start ballasts and I'm running 10,000k Ushio. So far they work fine. The pulse start option isn't a bad idea though.

laudluvr

After checking out
http://www.garf.org/SPS3SHOW/SPSSHOW3/FrameSet.htm
And seeing "Mary Jo's 55 set up" I am not so sure I believe in the "absolute necessity" for a MH. That set up is.....
This 55 gallon tank has
3 - Maxi-Jet 1000 power heads
4 - VHO 4' lights , 2 - actinic 03 and 2 - AquaSun 50 50
2- 40 watt lights , 1- Blue Moon and 1- Triton
1- Air powered skimmer in sump
1- older 801 powerhead in sump
Just thought I'd share. Some really cool pics from that site.

reefnut

I don't understand the tanks at Garf... I'm not sure what the secret is. IMO, it's hard to believe that those corals grow that good under VHOs. :confused:

cmonkey

Yea I defiently don't want to buy a chiller, so I'll go with the 250 with a pair of 4inch radio shack fans and hope for the best.
Is $100/bulb a rip/off?

cmonkey

Thanks for the help, I did find them out of Texas for 68/bulb. I called them and asked about the pulse start option and she said she saw no benefit for getting the option. I will probaly order everything monday.

cmonkey

Old yeller, I noticed that your under occupation you have Caring for reef, are you a scientist? or just a hobby? I am currently a biology student at LSU and I am looking for a good grad school in florida area with a concentration of coral ecology.