440 project

Y

yeffre kix

:jumping: I finally have closed on my new home so I can start building my new 440 system. It has been sitting dry in my living room for a couple of months now where my 300 gallon nightmare sat. I tried to move the stand into new house and there are no openings in the house wide enough fit the stand inside! I am having french doors installed off the patio so I can get it inside.
The new tank is acrylic for saftey and durability, since I had so much trouble with my glass 300.
The demensions are 96" long X 36" deep X 30" tall. The welded tubular steel frame is 36" square so I have room to work underneath the tank. A cherry wood skirt covers the bottom for a sweet custom look.
I cant wait to get started on the new system. The lighting and skimmer from the old tank will be reused but a larger 130 gal sump was needed. I will have 2 dolphin 4800 pumps for the flow. One will be a closed loop run through a 4 way from ocean motions, the other through the sump.
Some of the sand and liverock will come from the old tank but will need a little more to fill in the larger tank. I am pleasantly surprised that most of the corals from the old tank have thrived in an old 125 I am using to hold livestock. The only fish that survived are a large maroon clown, a cardinal fish I received here with an order for free, and a hippo tang.
I will keep everyone posted on the progress of the new tank.

maxalmon

Photos, We want Photo's!.....Even an empty 440 sitting on the garage floor get's me all excited....LOL

moby

Photos, We want Photo's!.....Even an empty 440 sitting on the garage floor get's me all excited....LOL
Yeah, what he said!

Moby

barebucta

yea, that's great news, I was one of your fans who read about your nightmare with the 300 gallon tank that you had. Well every story has a happy ending.

Y

yeffre kix

Originally Posted by maxalmon

Here goes!
Just a little taste of things to come. The stand is in my garage at the new house. I'm planning on moving the tank and canopy after door install so I can move them directly inside.

drew2005

Very nice!! I cant wait to make more room in my house so i can upgrade. Keep the pics coming and good luck with the set up.

maxalmon

Thats an incredible stand, the details and design are very impressive. Did you make the stand or a cabinet shop? What type of equipment are you going to use? Congrats on the new house!

crox

Very impressive stand and canopy. That will be the center of attentions for your new home. Congrats.

Y

yeffre kix

Thanks,
SoCal Creations designed and built the system. I'm lucky enough that I just drove a few miles to check out their work in person. Steve and Randy were very helpful and patient with the design and delivery. Check out their website for everything from sumps to complete systems.

Y

yeffre kix

Originally Posted by kmsrn
Hi,
How did you make the corners?
thanx
I took a picture of some custom kitchen cabnets I liked and Randy w/ So Cal Creations built my stand to match.

widowmaker

GULP! ! ! ......
I feel like I'm drowning even as I look at the picture. . .
Ordered my 240 this week, and I only thought it was massive. . . until now.
WOOHOO! ! !

Y

yeffre kix

I hit a little snag...
The simple job of replacing the sliding door on the back of the house turned out to be a little more expensive. The door opening on the back is 9 1/2" taller than a standard sized french door. This means a custom door and custom dollars. I am pricing around to find a contractor to resize the rough opening for a standard door to see if thats cheaper than a $3000 set of doors. (The standard size is only $500)
:thinking: (Any So Cal handymen out there that want a little job?) :thinking:
I'll keep ya posted when I get it running. The boss knows that as soon as I start working on the tank everything else stops, so I have a long list of "honey-do's" with the new home before I can really dig in anyway.