45 gal reef tank

So I am getting a 45 gallon tank that will require a hang on the back overflow. Any ideas on a good brand? I am getting a 20 gallon breeder tank to DIY a simple sump with live sand and rock. I am thinking about placing a simple 20 gallon tank separator in to keep large items from getting to the return pump.

Has anyone tried that before or is it an epic fail waiting to happen?

We are looking at getting a new light for coral but what’s a good brand to grow good colorful coral?

I am gonna have two clowns. One blue damsel. One red hawk. And a goby as stock.

Can anyone think of anything better to add some beautiful color and movement that will benefit the tank? Or another fish I could look at adding?

Last edited:

geridoc

I have used overflows from glass-holes.com for many years with no problems. One of my systems is very similar to what you are talking about - it is a 30 gallon breeder with a 20 gallon long tank as the sump. The sump is divided into 3 compartments by bubble traps made from plexiglass that is siliconed to the glass. The first compartment is used for arriving water and houses the pump to the skimmer. The skimmer itself and some live rock and rubble are in the larger center compartment, and the return pump is in the third section. I have never had a problem with this system except when we lost power for 5 days during hurricane Sandy, but you can't blame the system design for that.

Jesterrace

So I am getting a 45 gallon tank that will require a hang on the back overflow. Any ideas on a good brand? I am getting a 20 gallon breeder tank to DIY a simple sump with live sand and rock. I am thinking about placing a simple 20 gallon tank separator in to keep large items from getting to the return pump.

Has anyone tried that before or is it an epic fail waiting to happen?

We are looking at getting a new light for coral but what’s a good brand to grow good colorful coral?

I am gonna have two clowns. One blue damsel. One red hawk. And a goby as stock.

Can anyone think of anything better to add some beautiful color and movement that will benefit the tank? Or another fish I could look at adding?
Out of curiosity why does it need an HOB overflow?

geridoc

Out of curiosity why does it need an HOB overflow?
Simply put, a HOB overflow is easy to install and fairly foolproof in the long run. You could drill the bottom of the tank (if it isn't tempered glass) and put in a standpipe, but why do so much work when either a drilled sidewall to an overflow or an over-the-top overflow will work as well.