46 Bow Front or 55 rectangle????

viking

I was at my local ***** and they had a 46gal bowfront for 125. The 55 Rectangle is 90.
Is there anything note worthy about bow fronts?? Anything that makes them better or worse than a rectangle tank?
thanx guys

mr . salty

If you ever want to get anything more than the standard flo lighting the bowfront will give you problems.They are almost impossible to find a canopy for,,,and when you find someone to custom build one they are expensive...GO WITH THE 55...

marine qa

I might suggest a 55 as well. I have 46gbf and I enjoy the look of the curved front(see post below), but a 55s capacity and length are more functional. Can you get a 75 for $120?

grouperhead

is this tank gonna be a fo, fowlr, or reef? i would go with the 55. but, if you have the room get a 75. it is the same length as a 55, just wider. you can also do an agressive tank in a 75 :D . go with the 55 like salty said, lighting and canopys can be pains for 46. bo

viking

they do have a 75gal at ***** but it acrlic(sp) and has a wet/dry filter built into the tank but its $300 and that doesn't include stand or canopy. I havn't checked my two lfs to see what they have bigger than 55 but one does have a 60 for like 125 and a custom 30" stand from there is like 175
oh ya and its going to be FOWLS but i don't want live rock just yet its way to damn expensive. I am going to use figi base rock instead.
[ August 15, 2001: Message edited by: Viking ]

I have the 46 gallon bow front and Like it. I had it running for a few years in the corner of my living room and It looks nice. Its a Fowlr and Live sand. Its a better look the just a square tank , Evem thought there nice as well when you get done wiyth them. I would go with the bow front, Seems to get alot of compliments. Good luck.

viking

Originally posted by totalxtreme1:
<STRONG>I have the 46 gallon bow front and Like it. I had it running for a few years in the corner of my living room and It looks nice. Its a Fowlr and Live sand. Its a better look the just a square tank , Evem thought there nice as well when you get done wiyth them. I would go with the bow front, Seems to get alot of compliments. Good luck.</STRONG>
what kinda fish do you have??

ironreef

IME 55g isn't a good tank= to narrow. a 50g is wider but only 3' so if you need a small tank that is a good choice. If you get a 4' get a 75g min. The width makes a diff. You may get LR someday.Never buy a tank that is taller than it is wide = to may probs. IME

viking

i have decided to go with a 60gal that i found at my lfs. I don't wanna go any bigger yet b/c the stuff to run the tank will bankrupt my ass!!!

seaweed

Petland Discounts in the northeast and in Florida has a special running on a 55 gallon tank with a stand. The combo for both is $90 bucks--that's where I got mine back in late june and they are still running the special. That's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, including *****. I don't know where you live so you might not have access to a Petland.

viking

Originally posted by Seaweed:
<STRONG>Petland Discounts in the northeast and in Florida has a special running on a 55 gallon tank with a stand. The combo for both is $90 bucks--that's where I got mine back in late june and they are still running the special. That's the cheapest I've seen it anywhere, including *****. I don't know where you live so you might not have access to a Petland.</STRONG>
i have decided to get a 60gal b/c of the extra depth in the tank. my fish will have some turning room.

corky

have you purchased your tank yet? It seems there are always great deals posted on ---- from people in California selling their tanks(I know Cal. is a large state) Can save you money so you can fill it.