48 hour cycle?

carvainw

Has anyone used this 48 hour cycle by Tropical Science? I am thinking about using it but am not sure if its any good. Thanks!!

fshhub

never used it, i realize it is just bacteria in a bottle, but i will stand by the old addage that:
"THE ONLY THING THAT HAPPENS FAST IN SW AQUARIUMS IS BAD",
i have had good results cycling with lr and ls, and if you use cured rock(enough of it) it generally goes real fast anyway, we have been adding fish in little as 2 weeks, cycle was over in @ one, and our systems are stable when complete, whenever we added bacteria, it only seemed to be that could be spent on something else
oh yeah, shrimp will also help with the cycle
HTH and good luck

nacl-h2o

I agree with fshhub rushing usualy creates an unstable tank. Stability is created with time. Hard long cycles usualy create larg bacteria colonies ready to handle whatever you throw at them within reason, but quiky cycles frequintly do not and you end up recycling later at the cost of the new inhabitants.

fshhub

NaCl-H2O , i just noticed, your signature anwers mine(how ironic), i guess that tells how we feel about the hobby, huh LOL

broomer5

I asked my lfs guy about this stuff. He carries it but does not recommend using it to cycle your main tank.
SO then I asked him then why does he carry it in his store?
His reply ...
"Works better than nothing if you need to set up a fast quarantine tank to medicate fish."

carvainw

Last night I put in a jumbo shrimp in my tank. I also have one damsel in there. Its a 30 gallon. I have 2 large pieces of "dead" rock in there also. Will this get the cycle going?? Thanks.

fshhub

should be fine, what does 2 big pieces mean?
in a 30, i would use 30 to 50 lbs(i go on the higher side),and what type of substrate and how much are you using, these thing smay speed up your cycle, but at the least, crate stabilty in the long run and add to your filtration, i realize they can be expensive, but IMO they are worth it, we had tanks without them and now one with and really wish we'd got tehm sooner, and a fowlr or reef is actually IMO easier to maintain than a fish only tank