480gal, shark, eel pics

robn

Yeah....the Sohal was about 4"....the Dussimeiri was about 7"......not too happy to lose them.......

aquaknight

Thanks for the input, the plan for my tank is 132"x48"(deep)x30"(h). I was hoping to aquascape the rocks to almost have a 'table effect' where most of them would be off the ground, with just some column structure here and there for support to give maximum room to the sharks (pair of epaulettes and maybe another one, coral cat or bamboo) and a stingray. While still having some open space for open water fish (lookdown's and golden pilotjacks). Definitely a Dussimeri too, wow, time to stop dreaming lol....

crimzy

Originally Posted by robn
http:///forum/post/2624284
I have heard about problems with sharks accidentally bumping into a lionfish and getting stung, so I have never chanced it.......glad you had good luck with yours though.......do you still have the shark? What kind?
I had an eppaullette for about 3 years in my 225 gallon, until last year when I adopted him to a guy with a 1200 gallon lagoon. Mine is now matched with a nice female epp with the hopes of breeding, (I may take one of the eggs for my new tank). I had the lion and shark together for over a year with no issues. The lion never used its spines defensively against the shark or ray, even when they would swim/fall over the lion's back.

robn

AquaKnight,
Man that sounds like a great setup!!!! How far along in this plan are you?
Crimzy,
Interesting.....I would have thought it would get stung by accident eventually.......a shark has some pretty tough skin though....
How active was your eppie? I've thought about adding one......

crimzy

http:///forum/post/2624318
Crimzy,
Interesting.....I would have thought it would get stung by accident eventually.......a shark has some pretty tough skin though....
How active was your eppie? I've thought about adding one......
Whenever there was accidental contact, the lion would lay down its spines. My epp was extremely active from about 7:00pm through the night. I got him used to an evening feeding schedule. They are awesome sharks.

aquaknight

Just that, planning. I'm only going to be at my current house most likely for another 3-4 years max after I finally get my masters. So that would probably be right after I finially get everything set-up, then bam, time to move and can see moving a 11' tank not being fun. I'm going to start collecting stuff for it though, sumps, skimmer (*faint*) and rocks.
It's more or less going to be a direct copy of Bronco's tank, a plywood in-wall build. Just a bit wider for the shark, replacing the wavebox with an overflow, etc.

robn

AquaKnight,
Well that sounds good.....but your priorities all all wrong...should be "fish tank first", all others second

Thanks for the shark info crimzy!
Grouperlover
Are you asking me the setup costs or AquaKnight?

http:///forum/post/2624453
AquaKnight,
Well that sounds good.....but your priorities all all wrong...should be "fish tank first", all others second

Thanks for the shark info crimzy!
Grouperlover
Are you asking me the setup costs or AquaKnight?
you, I dont think i could build my own tank it would probably bust when it filled up with water

aquaknight

http:///forum/post/2624453
AquaKnight,

I've had the button called "life" on pause for a while now, some more years couldn't hurt.
Though, lmao, my roommates did go home for summer, wonder what their reactions would be to a 10' hole in one of the walls. Definitely would be youtube material!

robn

AquaKnight,
I'm thinking you'd have new roommates

Grouperlover,
Truthfully I've never added it up.....and if I ever did, my wife would probably kill me if she knew

Alot of my equipment was bought used....
Tank - custom made by Aquariums For You....it cost about $2800
Stand - concrete blocks filled with rebar/concrete.....supports are 5 8' 8"thick steel H-Beams - $500
All the woodwork was done by me (stand, canopy) - supplies were about $400
Skimmer - custom TriggerSys 42" dual Beckett skimmer.....retail about $1000 paid $400.
Skimmer pump - PanWorld 200PS - retail $260, paid $150
Lights - MH (4 250W) - $800, VHO - $200
Sump - used 100gal - $100
Hammerhead closed loop pump - $300
Dart return pump - $230
Prime 1hp chiller - $1200
Little Giant 4-MDQX-SC pump for chiller - retail $175, paid $80
Geo Kalk Reactor - $150
Lighthouse controller - $300
Fluval 304 (phosphate, carbon) - $75
Auto Topoff - $200
290 lbs Bali LR - $1300
400 lbs CaribSea Oolitic sand - $400
Misc (timers, plumbing, etc) - $500
Close to 10K......not including livestock (and all the livestock I've killed off ......)
If you guys never hear from me again, you'll know the wife read this