4years Iin Hobby But New To Coral's

swfishfan

i RECENTLY WONDERED OFF THE FISHONLY PATH TO THE OH SO BEAUTIFUL CORAL PATH AND I HAVE LEARNED ALOT AND I HAVE BEEN ADDICTED ALSO, SO RECENTLY I ADDED AN ORANGE ZOO FRAG AND A LIME GREEN ZOO FRAG, THEY HAVE BEEN THERE FOR ABOUT 2 WEEKS NOW, AND I WAS TOLD THEY SPREAD FAST INT HE RIGHT CONDITIONS, SO THE QUESTION IS HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR THEM TO COLONIZE AND WHAT DOES IT LOOK LIKE WHEN ANOTHER POLYP IS ABOUT TO GROW?

wangotango

Can't really say for certain how long it will take as it does depend on a lot of things. You could probably expect to see a few new polyps every month. They kind of grow like a carpet, with new polyps growing outward from the base.
-Justin

hypertek99

They will adjust to your tank and once adjusted they will start to grow and when they start to grow they take off. I get 1-3 polyps a month depending on the zoa. But then there are others that grow extremely slow. They will look like a bud when they pop out a new one you can tell.

swfishfan

so does anyone know, why this is or how it is that they spread, is it like polination, or is it just break off, and by the way thanks to both of you for the info..

petieaztec

zoos will bud..... i belive it is asexual reproduction. some zoos grow really slow and others faster..... plus it depends on what kinda light you have. i can see if i can get a pic.. but you will see little polyps right next to the bigger ones.

grabbitt

Colony expansion depends on the type of zoanthid (and of course, the more standard conditions, ie light, feeding, water params, etc..). I have about 20 or 25 different types of zoas.. some of which grow rapidly, and some of which grow almost painfully slow.
Congrats on the new addiction

And sorry about the new addiction

alix2.0

i got some zoas late last month and i already have like 4 new polyps.

but yeah i guess it just depends on the individual coral and conditions.

hypertek99

Yep all depends on the kind of zoas. The ugly ones grow the fastest. lol but the ugly ones can also turn into the best looking ones under different lighting.