5.5 Gal with custom overflow/fuge built in.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by Ray J Neal
Here is a picture I was able to snap of my porcelain/anemone crab feeding.

How about that?

great pic!

coral keeper

How about that?

Is it just me? I can't see the pic.

nygel

How about that?

nice, i havent seen my anenome crab since i bought it :( though the two porceliens are quite active still. best inverts ever.

bjoe23

How about that?

I can see it, nice pic, hes posing

new2salt1

1- I didn't use water from my other tanks, however I did use four pounds of LR and a couple cups of substrate. I am still waiting to get a light for this tank so as far as using the water I really am in no rush for the cycle to happen.
2- I wasn't aware people didn't work with plexi/acrylic. As far as I know there have been quite a few (?) who have done something with it at one point. I found it to be quite easy for myself. Measure twice, cut once!

Cut with what keeper? I went through the box cutter blades.
Is it a knife/blade specific for plexi that you used?
Oh, believe me, I have worked with plexi. 18 to build an enclosure for my aquatic turtle that should have taken 2 hours. I hate plexi, but maybe I was using the wrong tool?? Or perhaps the wrong king of plexi?

ray j neal

Originally Posted by New2Salt1
Cut with what keeper? I went through the box cutter blades.
Is it a knife/blade specific for plexi that you used?
Oh, believe me, I have worked with plexi. 18 to build an enclosure for my aquatic turtle that should have taken 2 hours. I hate plexi, but maybe I was using the wrong tool?? Or perhaps the wrong king of plexi?

You can buy the knife from home depot, lowes, etc. for around five bucks.

ray j neal

Here are a few new pictures. 1" Yellow Rose Goby (Longfinned) and a Peppermint shrimp. From here on out it will be nothing but my frags from the other tank and new coral additions. I did not plan on putting a fish in here, but when I seen this guy I remembered how long I have looked for one and had to get it!

^ What is this? I almost bought a five pound piece of super premium LR to get it, but the guy just broke it off. He said "once you've done this for so long, you can tell it's glued on." Anyone know what the heck it is?
-Ray

paintballer768

Possibly a turnicate or sponge I think. I dont know why someone would glue something on to a piece of LR for sale.
Tank looks very nice, I think you may have corrected this by now, but I noticed the blue sponge on chaeto algae. This might limit the amount of light it gets, but if its survived for a while since that post then I wouldnt worry. Those crabs might get a bit big for that tank, but you have other accommodations so I wouldnt worry about that either.
Very nice porcelain crab picture BTW

ray j neal

Originally Posted by paintballer768
Possibly a turnicate or sponge I think. I dont know why someone would glue something on to a piece of LR for sale.
Tank looks very nice, I think you may have corrected this by now, but I noticed the blue sponge on chaeto algae. This might limit the amount of light it gets, but if its survived for a while since that post then I wouldnt worry. Those crabs might get a bit big for that tank, but you have other accommodations so I wouldnt worry about that either.
Very nice porcelain crab picture BTW

A sponge? How much do they usually sell for? I got that piece for six bucks. Also, I still have the filter above the chaeto. It does not seem to be suffering, nor does it seem to grow. I assume this is because there are no nitrates/phosphates currently being a newer tank with no bioload. The large guy you see up front is a turbo snail, and the crabs are quite small. We have 8 hermits, 1 turbo snail, a porcelain crab, emerald crab, peppermint shrimp and a yellow rose goby. I really didn't plan on a fish but heck..he can't be any type of bioload really. I want to get him a pistol shrimp to buddy up with. That would make 2 crabs, 2 shrimps, 8 hermits (crabs), one tiny fish. I still don't think it would be too much as I know crabs live in very high densities in their natural enviornment. I will be adding my frags soon as well as buying more. This thread serves as my little tank diary so I have an on going log of events; feel free to chime in. I appreciate all the kind words.
-Ray

ray j neal

I bought this little guy for 40 dollars at my buddies store, coral corner. They call him a "Michaels pistol shrimp". I bought him to see the symbiotic relationship with my little goby. I think he is the coolest thing since sliced bread. Does anyone know the name of him? A search on google images does not show anything except some guy mike and his pistol. Lol. Please tell me what you know/think.

-Ray

ray j neal

Here is a picture of one of my sexy shrimp...

And another...

Here is a side view looking into the fuge..

Here is the tank with the dual sattellite 36w fixture and a few frags from my 10G..

Another..

And one more of the sexy shrimp..

ray j neal

My green/brown zooanthid is in pretty heavy flow on the left there by the powerhead, but I think it seems to be enjoying it. On the other hand, I know my frogspawn doesn't like much flow, so I will have to find a good spot for it. Sounds easy, but I am working with about 3.5G of actual display room. The rest is the fuge. Check back soon I will have new pictures.

ray j neal

Here is a picture I really like. It is at night right before the moon lights came on and only the 420nm/460nm actinics were on..

another...

What do you think?

coral keeper

How many LB of live rock do you have in the DT? I'm thinking of setting up a small 2-3 gallon reef with a 2-3 gallon fuge.