5.5g lighting again

monkdaily

Well after many years away from the hobbie i am jumping back in with a simple 5.5g from *****. I want a mixed reef with everything from sps to rics. Im pretty knowledgeable drawing on my past tank with some refreshers from time to time. The thing is when i got out of the hobby there wasnt par30/38 bulbs so it new to me. I was getting ready to pull the trigger on a par38 from ocreef, rapidled, or lightboxled. Then i read one post on the interwebs that made me pause. It said par38s in a 5.5g have been known to bleach sps and melt rics. Which now has me thinking maybe i should go par30. But i am also from the school of study do research and get it right the first time. Saves money and hassle. So would a par30 work for all corals in a 5.5g or stick with the plan and go par38?

snakeblitz33

You could get a dimable par 38 bulb. Or you could get one with dimming capability and put a dimmer switch on it. I would avoid a par 38 bulb that has UV LEDs.

A 5.5g ain't easy. I have a 2.5g pico myself and I have issues with it from time to time. Just do some research, like you said. And most importantly, have fun.