5 gal anyone?

gsd

I dunno wjhy ya all have problems with fire fish eating and gobys lasting more than a few months..I sure don't. I feed mainly home made frozen foods and they alldo just fine, and well, all of my gobys are well over a year old now, so I guess according to the above posts saying they do ot live long and they can't live ina small tank or they won;t eat is just news that none of mine have ever been told yet. My picos are easier to maintain than the larger tanks are, and in all reality takes less work. There is not any reason they should swing more than any other tank inwater parameters or temp if they are setup correctly and have proper equipment........evidently some of yu need a lesson or two on keeping smaller tanks as they just are not a problem like you all portray them to be..so here I set wathching my 1+ year old firefish and citron gobies just incase their so called "forecast short life spane" by some is indeed up......Bull

[hr]
, your evidently doing something wrong..........and just because you can't get the knack of it you assume the worst......just not so. So for the record there BIg Pete now you can take the info to the bank mine are in deed over a year old..so much for your records!

debbie

Okay.....so, thank you all for posting your pictures and thoughts on a 5 gal tank. I guess for some of you the smaller tanks are just perfect and for others they find them to hard. I guess we all have to experiment with things and see what works best for us.
Thanks again.......

bigpete

Originally Posted by GSD
I dunno wjhy ya all have problems with fire fish eating and gobys lasting more than a few months..I sure don't. I feed mainly home made frozen foods and they alldo just fine, and well, all of my gobys are well over a year old now, so I guess according to the above posts saying they do ot live long and they can't live ina small tank or they won;t eat is just news that none of mine have ever been told yet. My picos are easier to maintain than the larger tanks are, and in all reality takes less work. There is not any reason they should swing more than any other tank inwater parameters or temp if they are setup correctly and have proper equipment........evidently some of yu need a lesson or two on keeping smaller tanks as they just are not a problem like you all portray them to be..so here I set wathching my 1+ year old firefish and citron gobies just incase their so called "forecast short life spane" by some is indeed up......Bull

[hr]
, your evidently doing something wrong..........and just because you can't get the knack of it you assume the worst......just not so. So for the record there BIg Pete now you can take the info to the bank mine are in deed over a year old..so much for your records!
well no need for the hostility...let alone doubting my capabilities at maintaining a smaller reef system. ive had a 12 gal set up for a year now with no problems, i think ive been doing some things right. LIKE I SAID. IN...MY...OPINION...
clown or citron gobies do not last long. every LFS in my area or any other local reefer around here will tell you that. im amazed that you have been able to keep clown gobies, props to you for that and i MAY be wrong. just from past expirience and from the expirience of many others i know, clown gobies do not last long. the one i had lasted for 6 months in my nano and then vanished. thats not to say firefish do not do well, because i have seen firefish live for years. but, like i said, you dont need to doubt my skills in the marine hobby my friend

bigpete

Originally Posted by GSD
My picos are easier to maintain than the larger tanks are, and in all reality takes less work. There is not any reason they should swing more than any other tank inwater parameters or temp if they are setup correctly and have proper equipment........evidently some of yu need a lesson or two on keeping smaller tanks as they just are not a problem like you all portray them to be..
and im sorry, im not looking for a fight, but i will not agree with you on the quote above.

petieaztec

Originally Posted by bigpete
im not talking about firefish. i guess i should have been more specific in my post. clown or citris gobies rarely live long in captivity. ive found them to be extremely picky when it comes to eating. ive even taken a stab at the firefish and i have failed to get them to feed either. i just feel that they are great to look at but a difficult species to keep.
My citron likes the formula one
. he is a really good eater. with the five gal. you just need to remeber that when they get bigger you will need to get a bigger tank if you are not willing to do so get yourself a nice hermit crab... a pom pom or anenomie. or there are decorator crabs. shrimp are alos really pretty in color they usually have hot pink or blue.

bigpete

Originally Posted by petieaztec
My citron likes the formula one
. he is a really good eater. with the five gal. you just need to remeber that when they get bigger you will need to get a bigger tank if you are not willing to do so get yourself a nice hermit crab... a pom pom or anenomie. or there are decorator crabs. shrimp are alos really pretty in color they usually have hot pink or blue.
right on. ive only kept one and in my expirience he only lasted a few months. i LOVE clown gobies dont get me wrong, i guess its just one of those fish ill never be able to keep. i think everyone has one of those. for a while it was royal grammas for me. maybe one day i'll land a hardy goby. but everytime i go to my LFS, the owner refuses to sell me the gobies. he insists its a waste of $9.99. but you know what, im gonna let it be. i was wrong. post some pics if u can!

alyssia

well no need for the hostility...let alone doubting my capabilities at maintaining a smaller reef system. ive had a 12 gal set up for a year now with no problems, i think ive been doing some things right. LIKE I SAID. IN...MY...OPINION...
clown or citron gobies do not last long. every LFS in my area or any other local reefer around here will tell you that. im amazed that you have been able to keep clown gobies, props to you for that and i MAY be wrong. just from past expirience and from the expirience of many others i know, clown gobies do not last long. the one i had lasted for 6 months in my nano and then vanished. thats not to say firefish do not do well, because i have seen firefish live for years. but, like i said, you dont need to doubt my skills in the marine hobby my friend

BigPete is right. Their was no reason to be so nasty just b/c someone disagreed w/you.

bojik

right on. ive only kept one and in my expirience he only lasted a few months. i LOVE clown gobies dont get me wrong, i guess its just one of those fish ill never be able to keep. i think everyone has one of those. for a while it was royal grammas for me. maybe one day i'll land a hardy goby. but everytime i go to my LFS, the owner refuses to sell me the gobies. he insists its a waste of $9.99. but you know what, im gonna let it be. i was wrong. post some pics if u can!
Rianfords seem rather easy. Though be sure you get one thats eating. I had one before this one it did not acclimate,it hid away and died. Mine eats hair algae and occasionally Frozen brine. It has quite the pot belly. Lovely color too.

nanomantis

eclipse 5 gal hex, replace the bulb with a coralife 10w screw in 50/50, i have a reef with candy canes a tube anemone, mushrooms, zoos, and a goniopora branch. It is home to my mantis shrimp which is my favorite critter that i have ever owned, they have so much personality and they are actually semi-intelligent. Do your research and you will find them cool too :-D.

bojik

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
eclipse 5 gal hex, replace the bulb with a coralife 10w screw in 50/50, i have a reef with candy canes a tube anemone, mushrooms, zoos, and a goniopora branch. It is home to my mantis shrimp which is my favorite critter that i have ever owned, they have so much personality and they are actually semi-intelligent. Do your research and you will find them cool too :-D.
same bulb i have in mine. didn't think it adequate for corals. Might have to try some softies. :thinking:

bigpete

Originally Posted by NanoMantis
i have the same tank, how did u swap the bulbs???? i have a 10w screw in actinic blue!! please let me know!

bojik

i have the same tank, how did u swap the bulbs???? i have a 10w screw in actinic blue!! please let me know!
Buy one of these sort of units many LFS have or can get them. These are what we are talking about.
http://a1272.g.akamai.net/7/1272/1121/20051014193736/www.**************.com/images/Categoryimages/normal/p_rd_13992_21171D.jpg

jupiter

I have had a 5 gal. (marineland hex) since Mar. 2005 and I have had 1 domino damsel and a peppermint shrimp (had the shrimp from june 2005 to may 2006. I also have 3 hermit crabs and just bought an emerald crab on 9/16/06 (VERY COOL). I have had no trouble maintaining this 5 gal. I pretty much just change 1 gal. of water every two weeks. I also have brown and green buttons and pink mshrooms. So go for it on a 5 gal. but you will find out really fast you will want a bigger tank sooner than later. This past Dec. I started a 20 g. saltwater tank, with 1 clownfish and 1 blue damsel and 1 yellow bellied damsel w/ 4 hermit crabs. (( which is going well)
good luck!!!

debbie

Thanks for your reply. The 5 gal was just an extra tank that I had kicking around and thought I would just see what everyone else has done with theirs. My main tank is my 25 gal saltwater tank of 3 years.
I have decided since then to not do the 5 gal, to much of a pain. I will just keep my 25 gal.
Thanks though, do post a picture of yours, sounds nice.....

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by petieaztec
ohh. sorry its a ten gallon..... its not very big though this is my tank at work.

How much lighting do you have in that tank that your able to keep a frogspawn? Let me know.