5 Gallon Mini Bow

wester97

What do you guys think about the 5 gallon mini bow?
This is all i know about the tank
Creating an underwater world is even more fun when you do it one of these brightly colored aquariums! Acrylic aquariums have sleek, bow-front styling, which creates a dramatic presentation and offers a better view of your fish. The hood has an integrated lighting fixture with on/off switch and a convenient, flip-top opening for feeding. Along with the aquarium, you'll also receive a Whisper Power Filter, for efficient, two-step filtration; Tetramin Fish Food and Aqua Safe Water Conditioner.

reef_magic

they are great little things....but very difficult for saltwater. gotta keep up with instability and topoffs. if the water evaporates less than an inch, specific gravity goes sky high....i lost my hammer to high Sg that i didnt even think about.....so now it is a FW tank:rolleyes: :D
here it is when it was SW:

reef_magic

*notice the low water level.....hammer died shortly after:nope:
and it actually only holds 4 gallons of water:notsure: :thinking:

reef_magic

quite a bit. i noly had it up for 2 weeks....and did one top off. when it is 80 degress and 20watts right above it, it goes pretty quickly....im not trying to scare u away from nanos, just warning u they are areal commitment

IMO top offs should be done on a daily basis. This avoids all salinity instability once you get the amount to add figured out.

black99l

if you get on a routine it is actually quite easy. every morning before i go to work i put a little bit of water in the tank and feed the fish a couple of flakes. around dinner time i put a little bit more water in, along with the chemicals (buffers, calcium, etc...),feed the corals a very small amount of plankton and once a week i feed frozen brine at dinner time.

blackhavoc

I just tore down my 5 gal minibow. It cracked. Too much stress on the acrylic I believe. I had 7lbs live sand in it, and 6.6 of live rock. And it really is a 5 gal tank, but with a reef and all the rockwork its only about 4.2. When its a freshie its a true 5 gal.

reef_magic

Originally posted by BlackHavoc
I just tore down my 5 gal minibow. It cracked. Too much stress on the acrylic I believe. I had 7lbs live sand in it, and 6.6 of live rock. And it really is a 5 gal tank, but with a reef and all the rockwork its only about 4.2. When its a freshie its a true 5 gal.

i filled mine up with water when it was completely empty, and it only took my 4 one gallon milk jugs:thinking:

blackhavoc

-=i filled mine up with water when it was completely empty, and it only took my 4 one gallon milk jugs=-
Weird, mine took 5. Just measured it too. Strange indeed...