5 week old 54 gallon new setup/ web pics

jacknjill

oh, just to let you know for the future, never buy a white or bleached anenome. that means that it is dying. if an anenome is brown or pinkish, that means it is healthy. and clownfish will rarely host a condy anenome

coopersx

What you are saying may be true. When you say bleached do you mean dyed? Condylatics have a wide range of colors and I am sure what you state is true....if it is bleaching??? I believe the footing is what you want to look at more so then shruken tenticles or perhaps the color. I have not heard anything about the bleaching you have mentioned. I will research this. Any further input or rescources on what you mentioned would be appreciated.
Sincerely, Wayne

jacknjill

by bleaching i mean turning white and translucent, like yours. do a search on this site, there are billions of threads about bleached anenomes. there is no such thing as a white anenome

coopersx

:scared: Thanks. This is sad. It is actually sick and is "translucent"...and I thought he was healthy. I am purchasing a 250 watt MH pendant. I will rig it some how with my current power compacts and hang both above the tank. ( It may be to late to save him) I have a corner tank with most of the rock towards the back of the tank. I may have to tilt the pendant to get both sets of lights over the tank and then will need to place a cover around the top...cheap plastic I guess? I'll worry about that part later. Here is an excellent paper on Condylatics and the bleaching effect you mentioned. It is .pdf format. Scroll down to the part about "Selecting a Healthy Anenome". Thanks.
Sincerely, Wayne
http://www.carlosreef.com/AnemoneFAQ.pdf

jacknjill

well, i am glad i could help. those metal halides should definately help out. are you feeding it? try feeding him 2-3 times a week with something meaty like mysid shrimp or silversides if you arent already. maybe you will still be able to save it. and if not, at least you have learned some more about anenomes

lennon

Hey. the tank looks nice. I love the LR set up. I have a question..Did you use any epoxy to set the rock like that? I want to set mine up similar to that but am afraid it would topple over somewhere.
Any advise on that? Thanks all!

coopersx

Hi. I did not use epoxy. I have 45 lbs of live rock. It may be hard to tell but their is 1 large piece in the center. A couple main pieces on the sides. I built up from there. I have a total of about 7-9 rocks.
I cut out a pattern of my tanks bottom first. I then played around with the rock arraingment with that. I then set the largest piece in the middle. The tank bottom was bare glass with no substrate. I used small pieces or chips of rock behind and underneath where it was need to level and add support. I then added rock on top of these main support rocks. I carefully "stacked" the rocks in a positon that was secure on all sides. I tend to keep one side heavy so gravity will cause the rock to most likely fall towards that side of the tank should something happen. You can test this by rocking a piece of rock to and fro...If able to. I do not want anything falling or hitting the front glass. That is a priority for me in rock placement. I do not want to scratch the glass front. I am not worried about glass breakage as of yet. The top rock is failrly light and most is positioned to fall towards the front...It wont hit the front glass unless someone threw it. It is much lighter in water do to the salt water bouyency. I then added crushed coral argonite substrate.
I left plenty of room on both sides and behind the rock. I can place my arm to the bottom of the tank in these spots for cleaning if needed. Thats how far the rock is away from the glass. Hopefully I will eventually get coraline growth on the glass sides and I will not have to worry so much about wiping the bad algae near the bottom of the glass, should that occur.
Thanks, Wayne