$50 set-up

browniebuck

Well...I am getting tired of looking at my 125 in my basement while unable to do anything with it (surgery to repair torn labrum and remove "bone spurs" in my shoulder). I called my LFS (LOVE this place) and asked them what they would charge for setting up my tank...talked with the guy and went through all of the things that I would need and told me that they would be able to do it for $50...I wanted to do it myself, but I will definitely watch his every move so that I at least pick up on what he has done for future reference...but this didn't sound like too bad a deal...am I right?

xcali1985

My LFS charges 75$ an hour to install a tank and can usually get it done in that timeframe. So sounds about right. Is he still charging you for water, salt, etc. If hes going to do all that for 50$ then I say you have a GREAT deal. I had to pay 75$ + Salt + RO water + Plumbing
Sidenote: I grew up in Youngstown, Ohio. How are things back there?

browniebuck

Youngstown is still a mess, but Ohio is still a great place to live...have no complaints (other than the fact that my beloved Browns are by far the worst football team in the NFL). You probably see some of the same Youngstown type problems in Vegas...a little mob influence there as well, no?

browniebuck

I am going to have to take care of the parts as well as the salt and water (I assume, he didn't say otherwise...that would be awesome if he took care of that).

trouble93

Originally Posted by browniebuck
http:///forum/post/3165467
Youngstown is still a mess, but Ohio is still a great place to live...have no complaints (other than the fact that my beloved Browns are by far the worst football team in the NFL). You probably see some of the same Youngstown type problems in Vegas...a little mob influence there as well, no?
I lived in Youngstown for years and it's just a misunderstood place...There are a few bad apples but that's every where. Anyway that is a good deal. I have charged that for an hour.

xcali1985

Originally Posted by trouble93
http:///forum/post/3165597
I lived in Youngstown for years and it's just a misunderstood place...There are a few bad apples but that's every where. Anyway that is a good deal. I have charged that for an hour.
A few bad apples, lol..... Not exactly how I remember the South Side. Or the North.
I think 50$ for a set up is fine. It wont take that long to install with the right equipment. A good pipe cutter some PVC glue. Experience breeds speed the guys who installed my tank were here 30 minutes and although they did a wonderful job I felt robbed by the amount of stuff they actually had done. lol.
You get paid for what you know not what you do.

browniebuck

I guess Youngstown can be thought of similarly with Alliance (near Canton)...when people hear that I am from Alliance, they assume that I went through the ringer as a kid...we were in the white picket fence neighborhood where you could leave the doors wide open and nothing bad happened...though, there are DEFINITELY some areas that are not exactly desirable.
I would love to do the work myself, but I would also like it to get done before 2010...I am not allowed to lift much more than a gallon at a time....not to mention the rock! I am just tired of looking at it and wondering what it will look like filled and with critters in it...have to remind myself to go SLOW!!!

burch2006

theres 2 in kent and 2 in akron i usually hit up. I go to kent state and the 2 in kent are down the road and akron is like 10 minutes. once in awhile I go to wet pets in north canton but they can be pricey. Usually I buy online.