55 gallon FOWLR "diary"

fishonlyman

This is a blog to update fellow aquarists on my 55 gallon FOWLR. I want to show you guys if I could do a well established tank or not.
I bought some live rock for my tank. I put the rock into my 15 gallon tank until it is ready to be put in my 55 gallon.

fishonlyman

My 55 gallon is almost ready to hold the live rock. I plan on putting a few small chromis in the tank first to see if the tank is fully cycled. If they survive, I will move my ocellaris clown to the tank. I will buy a yellow wrasse a week later. Then, I may buy a small goby.

fishonlyman

I'm getting psyched!!!!!!! So far, I have 15 lbs of LR for my tank.(Still holding in 15 gallon.) I bought two 20 gallon quality live sand bags, and put the contents in the 55 gallon. The temperature of the water is in the mid 70's, so it has warmed up. I will put the live rock in soon!

fishonlyman

Took pics of my tank. I can't show them right now. My specific gravity is sort of high. I'm lowering it to 1.022, which is my 15 gallons specific gravity. I'm not getting chromis to check if my cycling is done. I am going to put in my ocellaris clown.

olemiss

Originally Posted by fishonlyman
http:///forum/post/3199205
Took pics of my tank. I can't show them right now. My specific gravity is sort of high. I'm lowering it to 1.022, which is my 15 gallons specific gravity. I'm not getting chromis to check if my cycling is done. I am going to put in my ocellaris clown.
your using a clown to test the cycle? Why not buy test kits?

fishonlyman

No, I have a test kit, but some people recommend a cheap fish to be added first in the tank, to see If their aquarium is ready for others, and I am putting my clown in as my first fish. Basically, it is my cycling fish.

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3199242
No, I have a test kit, but some people recommend a cheap fish to be added first in the tank, to see If their aquarium is ready for others, and I am putting my clown in as my first fish. Basically, it is my cycling fish.
Using cycle fish is simply unnecessary and wrong. A dead shrimp will provide ammonia and test kits will tell when the tank is cycled---these fish staying alive means nothing, they can live through the cycling with the burning gills that they will experience. A goldfish will live in a toilet; that doesn't mean its ready for other fish.

fishonlyman

OK, sorry. I guess I just want to put the clown in first. Also, does anyone here know about a good acclimation method besides drip acclimation?

srfisher17

http:///forum/post/3199288
OK, sorry. I guess I just want to put the clown in first. Also, does anyone here know about a good acclimation method besides drip acclimation?
The drip method is well worth the hassle, I usually use it. But, I did leave a message on your visitors page (one more thing to complicate my life) with another good method.

R

rcreations

I've always used the drip method and never had a fish die from it. But I also put in a small heater in the bucket to keep the temp constant.

seschaefer

when did you get your tank.. It sounds like you are failry new to the hobby. Before spending a lot of extra money in the hoby, i would recommend doing some research. You will be able to find everything you need on this website.
I would recommend that if your tank has not already cycled, you put your sand and rock into your main tank to help with the cycle. It will be worse for your system if you add these things over time. After your rock, water and sand are in the tank a cycle should begin shortly after, if you don't see it begin you can use a piece of raw shrimp as stated earlier.
It is good to see you are excited about beginning in the hobby. I am sure you will have a fantastic tank before too long, but you need to let it develop... unfortunatley this will take some time.
As i said before, reasearch is the key in this hobby, research and time!

srfisher17

Originally Posted by seschaefer
http:///forum/post/3199631
when did you get your tank.. It sounds like you are failry new to the hobby. Before spending a lot of extra money in the hoby, i would recommend doing some research. You will be able to find everything you need on this website.
Yeah, and patience is vital in this hobby. I'll bet rushing things has killed more fish than all other causes combined...including *****.

fishonlyman

Good news! I finally lowered my specific gravity to the level I want it, which is 1.023 (Ok, not really I wanted it to be at 1.022, but the water quality is fair enough). I put my live rock in. The live rock is only about 15 pounds altogether, but I plan on just keeping a few small fish, which is okay with me because I really don't have any specific fish I want in my tank, except for a yellow wrasse.

R

rcreations

I would definitely add more live rock. LR serves a lot of purposes in the tank... it helps with the filtration, it provides hiding and sleeping places for your fish, becomes a natural food source as the tank ages since it grows all types of copepods and other critters, you'll see fish graze on it all the time, LR is one of the main components of a successful tank IMHO.
btw, you can also add base rock along with the live rock you have to save some money. With time the base rock will become live.

fishonlyman

Well, one of the pieces of the live rock is less dense and has more filtering bacteria in it. And, after I add my clownfish in the big tank, I might put the live rock from my 15 gallon into the the 55.