55 Gallon Frag Tank

volunteerg

Am going to be setting-up a 55 gallon frag tank and wanted to get opinions on filtration and how much flow?

volunteerg

ok, since no one is responding, here is what my plan is...
install a 10 gallon fuge below the frag tank with skimmer, heater, chaeto with 2" live sand and return pump
in the tank i'll be putting a rio 1100 powerhead
i'm planning to use eggcrate for frags and will place approximately 20 pounds of live rock to assist with filtration.
lighting will be 250W MH 10,000k
i'll post up pics as soon as i pick-up the tank and get it set-up this week
any thoughts would be appreciated.

volunteerg

Steel, how do you support the sides of the shelves?
I had thought about doing the rack method in the garf format but using the eggcrate instead of acrylic. Looks like a cool idea!

steelgluer

How about this, Use glue to place eggcrate together. Build the shelf outside of the tank 1.5" smaller then the inside dia of tank then it will fit in and if you ever stop fragging you can remove it and still have a perfect 55 gallon tank. If you want I can give you exact measurments..

kdfrosty

Personally I would create three different levels of shelves, all supported by a PVC frame in a bare bottom tank. This way you can frag and grow corals with different light demands a little easier.

embco

I have been toying with the same, only I have a spare 30-gal. I think deep sand beds are helpful for pH and denitrification, why clean or add chemicals when something else can do it for you? What did you decide to go with?

reefer jer

Yes pvc frame legs, use zip ties to attach to eggcrate thats what I do....
good choice on a frag tank.....keep this hobby alive...frag frag frag .....
Jeremy
Reefer J