55 Gallon fresh-water?

fish fiend

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a 55 gallon set up for cycle and what fish i should put in it afterwords. While on the subject, does anyone have a GOOD fresh-water fish forum, the ones that have been to are no good. Thank you

ocellaris_keeper

to start with: (Talking Saltwater)
I would suggest a 3-4 inch deep sand bed with 80% play sand and 20% live sand with a plenum bottom for nitrate control and live rock for critter diversity.
A good protien skimmer (rated for 150 Gallons and four 300GPH power heads.
this is a good starting setup for either a reef or fish tank:
For reef - you'll need some additional lighting:
VHO, or Power Compacts/ and two Metal Halides.
I would suggest using a water treatment to start the cycle. and after the nitrites hit zero add two clown fish. Keep only these two fish for about a month before looking for any other fish.
While the tank is maturing during the lonely month of two fish you can add snails and hermit crabs (up to 1 of each per gallon).
That'll get you started.

ejensen

I never had a problem with fresh water fish. I know all the fish people don't want to hear this but I just set it up and threw fish in it. Nothing ever happen to me. I had a Oscar and a Pacu and nothing happened to them. I rarely change the water. They are so much easier to take care of. Salt water fish are just so much more exciting, but expensive.

clint_reno

Did the fish water thing for years in high school. It is a good way to get you feet wet.
But nothing holds my attention more than this hobby. It is almost impossible to perfect the craft, as there are always new perspectives, new ideas. It can be expensive, but cost can be good, if it evokes discipline.

minex

I just wanted to agree with ejensen. I have a 40 gallon and a 175 gallon fresh water aquarium and did the same thing as him. I just set the tank up and threw fish in. I also rarely do water changes. Its been two years and all the fish are doing great (none have died). I've checked the chemical levels in the water a few times -- with the exception of Nitrate(NO 2), everything is within parameters.
My salt water aquarium on the other hand.... :)

beaslbob

Originally posted by Fish Fiend
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a 55 gallon set up for cycle and what fish i should put in it afterwords. While on the subject, does anyone have a GOOD fresh-water fish forum, the ones that have been to are no good. Thank you

I do planted fw tanks. just add sand water and lotsa plants. wait a week add a fish. then a week later another. At the end of the month stock it up.
no circulation, no water changes, no algae, just water, plants and fish.
Has worked like a champ for years.