55 Gallon (Mainly salt, some freshwater)

rune

All I seem to take photos of lately is our fish tank, so I wanted to share the pictures. I'm still learning to use the camera and I have quite a bit to learn in regards to lighting and manual camera settings. Feel free to offer tips in terms of photography but otherwise I hope you enjoy them.

Photos posted from earlier in the year to current in that order.

H

heart & sole

nice shots love the rock work in the salt water tank.

jerryatrick

Great job with the aquascaping. What kind of lighting do you have?
As for the freshwater, ever have any issues with the gourami getting sores. This is the only freshwater fish that I had trouble keeping.

rune

We have an Icecap 660 with 2 blue actinic and 2 white actinic VHO bulbs at the moment. Earlier pictures just had a 2 bulb ballast with 2 40 watt bulbs. I wish the rock would have stayed snowy white :) but we all know it doesn't.
I have 2 gouramis at the moment. Since the tank is 55 they seem to have plenty of space and they leave each other alone. Haven't seen any issues with their health so far and as much as I hate to say it.. the freshwater tank tends to get only about half of the care the saltwater does.. so while its taken care of, it's not in the most pristine condition. I'll let you know if I do see anything in the future but so far, so good.

sickboy

Both tanks look good! Seeing your freshwater pics makes me wish I hadn't got rid of my tank.

rune

The freshwater tank is a planted tank in progress. It has a lot of work to go, but its being done slowly to avoid spending too much at one time. I hope to have the entire thing covered in plants by this time next year.

jerryatrick

Originally Posted by Rune
http:///forum/post/2748919
The freshwater tank is a planted tank in progress. It has a lot of work to go, but its being done slowly to avoid spending too much at one time. I hope to have the entire thing covered in plants by this time next year.
I have never attempted a planted freshwater tank. Is it expensive and a lot of work?

rune

Well there are two ways you can go about doing it. Theres low tech and high tech. Biggest thing with planted tanks seems to be the CO2 injection systems. You can buy one.. which involves a tank and a regulator valvue and all that.. or you can make one using a 2 liter soda bottle and some common kitchen items like Sugar. Obviously the return from the high tech method will be greater but i've heard the low tech types work pretty well. Otherwise it's a lot like gardening - you gotta keep the plants pruned if they get out of control.
In comparison to saltwater? it's a piece of cake in my opinion.
In comparison to other things - it does take a bit of maintenance.

What are the three things in the seventh picture down? I found one on one of my rocks but haven't positively identified it yet. Thanks!

rune

Couple more. I know I take a lot of photos of the same thing but it's really all we have. Testing new camera settings as well, I think the frogspawn photo from today is better than the previously posted ones. Click the photo to see the larger version.

addicted2

I love your rock! looks like solomon island rock..that's what I have..I love it! it looks really nice with coraline....
)