55 gallon new tank

uscmizzy

First post and First day on the site so asking for help...
I am in the process of changing my former African Cichlid tank into a saltwater tank. I have a 55 gallon tank and two HOB Marineland penguin 200s and a heater. I know I will need powerheads and the basic stuff but I am wondering if I need other items for the tank? I plan to do fish only with some live rock and currently I am looking at clownish for my nieces and the blue reef chromis. Thoughts? Ideas? I welcome any and all help!

S

saxman

Welcome!

If you get clownfishes, be sure to add them last...they can get pretty nasty once established (they are damsels, after all).

If you set the tank up right, you won't necessarily need powerheads (PH). We run all FOWLR, and don't have a single PH in any of our tanks.

Since you're doubling up on the filters, I recommend having one intake near the bottom and the other around the middle of the water column. If your siphon tube is too short, you should be able to get an extension for one of them. This way, you're drawing water from two places in the water column.

We can help you with any specific questions you may have.

Don't forget to QT your new fishes...it will save you a lot of headaches.

uscmizzy

Appreciate the reply! Should I still use carbon filtration or are there better options for saltwater? So I don't need anything extra some people have told me I need a protein skimmer?

geridoc

For a FO tank a skimmer can be handy, but is not a requirement. Many use carbon filtration regularly, others not. My own take is that unless you are trying to remove a specific substance (medication, for example), carbon is also unnecessary. Just live rock, good water flow and some type of particulate filtration and you are good to go. As you get more experience with your system you can add more stuff, but it becomes a matter of convenience instead of necessity.

uscmizzy

Thanks for the reply doc I was considering use Carbon in one HOB filter and something else in the other just not sure what. I am currently looking at around 30 pounds of live rock and then some dead rock to finish out since it's cheaper and have a 10 gallon I am going to use as my QT. As I said earlier I am looking at clownfish and the blue reef chromosome but not sure what else any ideas guys? Maybe a puffer?

geridoc

A 55 is too small for a puffer. Always look up the adult size of any addition to the system. Puffers get big. Look at dwarf angels, most wrasses, etc. Also consider a shoal of several chromis for a beautiful and fascinating display. There are plenty of small-moderate sized fish that will give you a great display.

jay0705

Fire fish,mandarins,hectors goby,sunrise dotty back. Just a few ideas for smaller but color additions. Look into each as some have special requirements ie mandys

S

saxman

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCMizzy http:///t/396785/55-gallon-new-tank#post_3535245
Thanks for the reply doc I was considering use Carbon in one HOB filter and something else in the other just not sure what. I am currently looking at around 30 pounds of live rock and then some dead rock to finish out since it's cheaper and have a 10 gallon I am going to use as my QT. As I said earlier I am looking at clownfish and the blue reef chromosome but not sure what else any ideas guys? Maybe a puffer?
You could keep a tobie (Canthagaster sp.) puffer in a 55 with no problems at all. They stay small, most are fairly hardy (C. leoparda can be touchy, however), and there are a few species to choose from. I'd recommend adding it last, and stay away from fishes with long fins, as tobies are fin-nippers.

uscmizzy

The saddle puffer is the puffer I was looking at and one you said Doc. It says 30 gallons so I thought it might be ok but all those ideas are great I am looking for a type of green to put with the Orange and blue I'll already have if I don't do a puffer

gplundberg

I think to would be great to add a pistol shrimp and watchman goby pair to your tank. Symbolic relationships are the coolest thing in a tank.