55 gallon setup

drewster

I want to take my 55 gallon tank that I am not using right now and turn it into a tank that will carry fish that I can't hold in my 75 gallon reef. Meaning, fish such as triggers, puffers, eels, and lionfish. It will be a fish only tank and won't have much rock in it. Maybe 15-20 lbs at most. What can i safely put into this tank? The fish I really want to have are the Clownfish trigger, picasso trigger, and a valentini puffer. See any problems with that?

lionfish

LionFish says.....
What it comes down to is the size of the fish. You will obviously need a larger tank to hold 2 triggers. People are always telling me "I've got t2 triggers in the same tank". It doesn't matter if you have 2 triggers in the tank, it's the size of the fish and the size of the tank. The triggers you want would outgrow your tank in a little while. LionFish also get large, I refuse to put lionfish in tanks less than 70 gallons unless they are dwarf lions. A Valentini Puffer would be good to put in a 55 gallon with a Dwarf Lion and a Trigger. But you will probably have to take the trigger back when he gets big or you will need a larger tank.

drewster

Ok, then what you guys are saying is that if i get a valentini puffer, clownfish trigger, and a dwarf lionfish I should be alright. Even though i don't have much live rock?

lionfish

LionFish says.....
Well LiveRock is always a plus but as long as your tank is cycled it should be alright. But also rock is good for hiding spots. LionFish and triggers to require hiding spots for sleeping at night. I'm sure the puffer needs hiding spots too. But overall you don't need a whole lot of rock just enough to have hiding spots for your fish. Also watch a Clown Trigger. Vicious little guys. They can get to the point of being to aggressive. Try to get the fish at about the same size, that usually works best.

xavier

55g for all those fishes is far too small. From experience I have the same tank with 2 Triggers and a wrasse and they are doing fine. I had more and they died.
Need ample hiding spots and major filters. They are messy eaters. Filters to me would be the biggest concers. Defiently a heave skimmer, carbon and great bio filters.