55 Gallon Stocking, how many is to many?

jwhiteuwc

I've had the same fish for about 4 years now and was wondering if I could add a few more to my current 55 gallon?
Here's the list currenlty:
Yellow tang
2 - Perc. Clowns
hippo Tang
Flame Angel
Shrimp.
Purple Firefish
Do you think I would be able to add say 2 smaller fish yet?
Possbilities would be:
Copperband (though I have a reef tank so...)
Maybe bi-color Angel or another reef safe angel.
Think I would be Ok with 2 of the above yet?
Thanks.

sfe

Originally Posted by jwhiteuwc
I've had the same fish for about 4 years now and was wondering if I could add a few more to my current 55 gallon?
Here's the list currenlty:
Yellow tang
2 - Perc. Clowns
hippo Tang
Flame Angel
Shrimp.
Purple Firefish
Do you think I would be able to add say 2 smaller fish yet?
Possbilities would be:
Copperband (though I have a reef tank so...)
Maybe bi-color Angel or another reef safe angel.
Think I would be Ok with 2 of the above yet?
Thanks.
I would not add any more fish with the bioload you got. Already a hippo tang is too big for a 55 and some will say the yellow tang is too big for a 55. I personally believe you are done. If your tank has been going for 4 years than I would keep it that way. Don't try and add more fish when your tank has been stable all these years. Not to mention you said you have a reef and that might just stress out your corals.

jwhiteuwc

I've heard that the Hippo may outgrow the tank at sometime and as soon as I see him stressed and to big for the tank and friend is willing to adopt him into his 175gallon :)
Thanks for your input.

sfe

Originally Posted by jwhiteuwc
I've heard that the Hippo may outgrow the tank at sometime and as soon as I see him stressed and to big for the tank and friend is willing to adopt him into his 175gallon :)
Thanks for your input.
I am sure he would like the 175 gallon now. If you gave four hippo to your friend now, you could possibly get two smaller fish now but not the ones you suggested. You could get a bicolor angel but only that, not the copperband with it.

rainfishy

Getting a bi-colored angel to go in a tank with an established flame angel may be a bad idea. Dwarf angels usually don't mix unless they are intoduced together.

flamehawk

After being away for a while and now coming back to post, some of the more seasoned fish keepers are no longer posting and thus are not sharing some of their past mistakes.
Sorry to say but you are already overstocked. It w/b a mistake to put anymore fish in your 55g. The hippo will need to be moved in due time. After that you should be ok. Good luck.

jwhiteuwc

You really think I'm overstocked now? It it only because of the hippo tang? Currenlty this guy is only about 1 inch or a little more he's a baby. When he gets about 3-4 inches I'm going to sell him to my friend.
I guess I don't see that I'm overstocked, but then this is only my opionion and of course it's my tank and everyone thinks they can sneak one more fish or something in :thinking:

I'll keep my current stock and will not add anything... hmmmm or upgrade to a 125gallon :notsure: :notsure:

jon321

"I've had the same fish for about 4 years now"
The hippo is 4 years old and only 1"? Or did I read something wrong?
Jon

jwhiteuwc

Nope you read right, I just spoke wrong. All expect the hippo tang, he's relatively new :)
I'd say 6-8 months.
I understood when buying him that he needs a bigger tank. The question is IS My tank really overstocked?

nemo's mom

You should have 1 fish for every 10 gallon of water or 1" for every 4 gallon depending on the size. Yes, I have to 2nd that you're overstocked or at least maxed out...Sorry. I have a 55 gallon w/6 fish and wanted to add some 2 or 3 more until I did some research. I actually qt 2 of mine and can tell that the remaining 4 are much happier without the other 2...

coachklm

you have 5 very active swimmers..your overstocked in my opinion
i have 4 very active in my 90...+ a scooter blennie. i'm done.
i wouldnt want to risk stressing my tang out.