55 Gallon tank build HELP!!

K

kirbyfu

Hey there i need help with my 55 gallon build, mainly with the overflow and the return pump.
i have a 65g protein skimmer
i have a CA 1800 pump (650 gph)
and all of this is going to go into my 20-30 gallon sump/refugium that im going build.
So my question is that would a 650 return pump be ok with a 700 gph overflow?
IF SO
Where do i place the holes for the overflow
is it better to place closer to the top or where the sand line is
Where should i place my return hole?
What type of pluming size tube do i need?

flower

Sump SOS...Acrylic51....you are needed here.
Hi,
Welcome to the site...I bumped your post up to the top for the experts to notice and help.

beaslbob

Let this non expert give a stab at this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyfu http:///t/391400/55-gallon-tank-build-help#post_3470817
Hey there i need help with my 55 gallon build, mainly with the overflow and the return pump.
i have a 65g protein skimmer
i have a CA 1800 pump (650 gph)
and all of this is going to go into my 20-30 gallon sump/refugium that im going build <<<<1
So my question is that would a 650 return pump<<<<<<2
be ok with a 700 gph overflow?<<<<<<3
IF SO
Where do i place the holes for the overflow<<<<<<4
is it better to place closer to the top or where the sand line is
Where should i place my return hole?<<<<<<<<<<5
What type of pluming size tube do i need?
1>>>>> you might want to consider plastic storage containers.
2>>>> 650 gph is only at 0 resistance and 0 height. pumping through longer pipe and pumping the water to a higher location slow all that down. like pumping to saya location 4 feet higher it may only be 250gal /hour or so.
3>>>>>> you might want to consider making an overflow from pvc pipe.
4>>>>>>> drilling holes through tank for overflow are not needed for hob and pvc overflows.
5>>>>> slightly above the water line in the display.
6>>>>> as big as possible. at least 1" returns and 1.5-2" for drains.
my .02

acrylic51

Mmmmmmm probably driving the big UPS truck delivering all the goodies to everyone......
Beaslbob touched on a good point.....Your pump rating is at 0' ft of head.....so the big question is what is the distance between where the pump would be located and the return to the tank......Pumping height will play a large factor in this as well as any fittings you might use in plumbing.......I'll admit I'm not a fan of PVC overflows.....Never personally used them, just I don't want any unsightly stuff in my tanks or hanging on my tanks if possible. Your overflow holes should be located as high as you can get them. I'm assuming the tank isn't already drilled and your considering drilling the tank or using a HOB overflow......

Your returns can be accomplished many different ways.....Theoretically you'd want your returns as high up as possible to prevent any back siphoning to your sump......With sump being mentioned I'd recommend either a sump or a glass tank fabricated to your sump needs. Again I question longevity of plastic containers, and also must be careful on the plastic containers used.....I had a friend who for years went that route and did nothing but kill everything, because he was to "pig headed" to test things.....I don't recommend this route at all!!!!!
Plumbing size and style again really depends a lot on the return pump and what you feel comfortable working with.....Some use vinyl tubing, which I personally don't like for a couple reasons. 1 easy to kink or pinch and cut while clamping it down.....Another reason is algae growth inside the clear tubing as well.....I prefer either to use hard PVC or SpaFlex or some call it Flex PVC.....Just my .02

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrylic51 http:///t/391400/55-gallon-tank-build-help#post_3471602
Mmmmmmm probably driving the big UPS truck delivering all the goodies to everyone......
Beaslbob touched on a good point.....Your pump rating is at 0' ft of head.....so the big question is what is the distance between where the pump would be located and the return to the tank......Pumping height will play a large factor in this as well as any fittings you might use in plumbing.......I'll admit I'm not a fan of PVC overflows.....Never personally used them, just I don't want any unsightly stuff in my tanks or hanging on my tanks if possible. Your overflow holes should be located as high as you can get them. I'm assuming the tank isn't already drilled and your considering drilling the tank or using a HOB overflow......

Your returns can be accomplished many different ways.....Theoretically you'd want your returns as high up as possible to prevent any back siphoning to your sump......With sump being mentioned I'd recommend either a sump or a glass tank fabricated to your sump needs. Again I question longevity of plastic containers, and also must be careful on the plastic containers used.....I had a friend who for years went that route and did nothing but kill everything, because he was to "pig headed" to test things.....I don't recommend this route at all!!!!!
Plumbing size and style again really depends a lot on the return pump and what you feel comfortable working with.....Some use vinyl tubing, which I personally don't like for a couple reasons. 1 easy to kink or pinch and cut while clamping it down.....Another reason is algae growth inside the clear tubing as well.....I prefer either to use hard PVC or SpaFlex or some call it Flex PVC.....Just my .02
As a user of hoses I have to ask...doesn't algae build up in PVC pipe as well?