55 Gallon Tank One Year Later

bigbills

I started my mixed reef tank in February of 2008. Its come a long way since then, and I thought I'd share some pictures.
February 2008

June 2008

September 2008

February 2009

I don't have a very good camera, or that many pictures.
I've had some successes and some failures. I've learned a bit from everything though. Right now I've only got a flase percula (the first fish I added) and a yellow watchman goby in there, but I'm planning on adding a juvenille atlantic tang, leopard wrasse, longnose hawkfish, or dwarf angel. I'm not set on all of that, but that is what I've got planned.

cedarreef

Very cool. The tank might be a bit small for an atlantic tang, and the hawk may pick at your inverts. Other than that, the tank looks great! I'm loving the aquascaping.

bigbills

Thanks for the compliments. I'm aware of the issue with the tang, which is why I'm going with a juvie. I've got some friends with bigger tanks that are willing to take it off my hands.

A

atl reef

What kind of lighting do you have in there? I've got a 55 also, and am curious about what is working for you...
looks great..

bigbills

Thanks for the compliments. Aquascaping a 55 is a pain. I really want a bigger tank, but that involves a new stand, new lights, new pumps....probably a new job.
I've got T5's. One 54W actinic and one 54W 10K. Those have individual reflectors and are on the same ballast. Because I really wanted to be able to run just actinics, I also have two 28W actinic T5's that are not reflected at all.
Here's a picture of the light setup.

Someday I'd like to get another ballast so that I can run a HO T5 instead of the two low ones. However, I can only fit 3 bulbs with reflectors in my canopy. So if I get another ballast, I'd only be able to run one light, which doesn't make much sense to me.