55 Gallon Tank

firebane

Good morning and afternoon to those in the other parts of the world. I am new to the saltwater community and my gf currently has a freshwater tank but we want something more "vibrant". I am possibly going to be picking up a 55gal tank tomorrow that needs to be resealed for $35 :) I was uptil like 2:30am last night reading over this site and learning lots of good info, but weeded out stuff that didn't seem right.
Now I plan to run a tank that has fish, live rock, and maybe some coral. I can do the research on lighting, fish types and etc but the one thing that doesn't seem clear at all on the site is the whole refuge area that people are building under their tanks and this is where a few of my questions start.
1. Would I need one if I plan to run the setup I do?
2. Even if I don't need one is setting up the area a good thing so that you can keep your skimmers, heaters, and pumps out of the way and have a "cleaner" looking tank?
3. If I choose to not drill the bottom of my tank for the lines I have seen people setup a system where they run the pipes up the back of the tank and over the top. How effective is this? I am going to assume its only as good as its built and the size of piping and pumps used?
4. During cycling of your tank I notice some people say use live/uncooked shrimp to help it cycle over, but I've also heard just putting live rocks into your tank can achieve the same effect; true or false?
I am sure I'll be asking many other questions down the road as this is a very interesting, but expensive hobby I notice to get into. I'll be building a stand out of 2x4s and making it really snazzy and such, but in regards to the stand whats the easiest way to get a top to stay on the tank? I'm thinking just running 1x4s around the inside of the hood to rest on the edge of the tank; yay or nay?

ophiura

WELCOME TO THE BOARDS!!!
:cheer: :jumping:
:jumping: :cheer:
OK, let's see if I can remember these questions, maybe not in order:
1) You do not NEED a refugium but they are very handy and beneficial in reducing nitrate levels using macroalgae growth. They are different from a sump, and a sump is nice as a place to put heaters and skimmers, etc.
2) If the tank is not drilled, you simply use a hang on overflow box. Not a big problem

3) Yes, you can cycle the tank using uncured LR instead of shrimp. Basically you want an ammonia source. This can come from all sorts of places. Traditionally, damselfish were used but this has drawbacks. Uncured LR with die off will produce ammonia, just as similarly rotting shrimp will produce ammonia...or even extra flake food....or just plain pure ammonia.
As for design and construction, you may want to visit and ask in the DIY forum

And never hesitate about starting threads on each separate question. Sometimes it can be easier to get a clear message, but I know people hesitate to ask too many questions. That is generally not a problem

firebane

ah ok.. that clears up the question on the overflow and refugium... refugiums = safe haven for small critters and the sump allows for a closed off setup to not crowd the tank! Thanks.