pufferuk

hi i currently have a 20 gal 90x30x30 cm aquarium that used to have freshwater puffers in i was wondering by doing the listed things below i could convert it into a FISH ONLY marine aquarium:
add a protein skimmer (rated for aquariums double my tank size)
i alreday have 2x fluval 3 plus filters (with carbon). Could i use thes plus LR and LS for my filteration?
Change my 1x freshwater tube for a marine one. ( in a marine tank normally ppl either use metal halides or multiple fluresont tubes would one be ok for this tank?)
plz can ppl give me thier opinions
p.s i no quite a bit about marine setups already:)

pufferuk

jimi i was only yrying to say that i no the basic stuff about marine fishkeeping
i.e about diffent filteration methods feeding
i would no more if u decided to help me and not intimadate me
:(

melbournefl

Puffer, welcome to the boards and excuse Jimi (I've never seen him here before and with that attitude, probably won't see him for long either)!
I'd say you'd be making a good start. Depending on the bioload of your tank, you may not need the Fluval, this is a matter of debate. The other thing is, even though the fish don't need it, the live rock could use a bit more light, perhaps go with a two bulb hood and some good bulbs. Other than that, and of course, lot's of patience, sounds good to me. But then I'm new too so let's hear what some of the old-timer's have to say LOL
Again welcome and enjoy!
Later,
Paul

pufferuk

thx for your info i have read and heard from alot of ppl that in a LR system and LS system powerheads are QUITE important becuse they turn the water over and stop dead stots do u no any thing about this:
p.s could i use the fuvals to circulate the water
Fluvals are quite vigouroius filters properly maintained.

pufferuk

hi i am qite new to the board about 3 days ago i joined (love it by the way). i already no a few expressions
LR
LS
FO
like these i no that MHis a metal halide and i was wondering that this type of ligting is normally hung over the tank and rarely help above the water by brackets becuase of the intensity.
Not sure if i m right
could u plz explain for me
sry for any inconvienence
:)

pufferuk

could u also tell me the meanng of NO VHO and PC and the average price range
thx a lot all the ppl who have posted
loads of help thx :)
if u like freswtare puffs by the way u could look at my site for info
www.pufferuk.tk

melbournefl

puffer, at the very top of this forum there's a "sticky" message explaining almost all the acronyms used on the board :D
Hope this helps or HTH
Later,
Paul

robn70

As for the lighting MH is considered the best for keeping corals and is also the most expensive ( usually over $300.00). VHO and PC are much cheaper ($100 - $300 range.) Not sure what all the differneces are between the vho's and Pc's besides the type of bulbs and they have slightly differn't colors. from looking at them either one looks fine.

pufferuk

thx for that i needed to no that becuse i dont have that much clearence and i have looke dat another thread and i am going to upgrade my tank size to
36x15x12 for added height creating a more netural effect
and i am going to use to 2xSHO Or 2x no tubes
THX ALOT ALL WHO HAVE POSTED I WILL MAKE A NEW THREAD WHEN MY PROJECT HAS FINISHED:)
IT WILL TAKE LONG CONSIODERING
IM 14 AND HAVE LOW FUND BUT THX AGAIN ALL U ROCK!!!!
:) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)