55G, need stocking suggestions

wackyvolitan

Hi! I'm new to keeping saltwater fish.
I have a 55 gallon aquarium, and I've had it set up for several months now. I'm planning on it just being a FO tank, with no live rock or corals. I only have 2 fish in the tank right now:
1 Percula Clownfish (1.5")
1 Snowflake Eel (7.5")
So I'm looking for more suggestions.

[hr]
I also just tested the water, here are the results:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 35
pH: 8.3
Salinity: 1.023
Are the results ok, or do I need to change anything first before I add more fish?

[hr]
I'm looking for fish/invert suggestions for the tank! I was thinking maybe a Fuzzy Dwarf Lion, but then it would probably eat the clownfish, wouldn't it? Another fish I thought about is the Heniochus Butterfly - would that work?
There are several for sale at the local pet store, and I really liked them. And for inverts, what about some type of starfish or urchin? Suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!

shrimpi

Is this going to be a fowlr?
If you plan on having corals at all it will limit what kind of 'starfish' you can have. Starfish eat coral. You could get a brittle star for cleanup, but they do hide alot.
You are going to need to stray away from many of the 'common' inverts because of your eel. Otherwise I would say to get some shrimp.
Urchins are cool, but they also 'burrow' in between your rocks (if you have some) and will likely cause an avalanche if the rocks arent secured enough. other than that, they are pretty much algae eaters, and I beleive they are noctural as well (not certain).
If you are looking for some 'not as easy to eat inverts' that are interesting to look at maybe get a decorator crab? Its a little bigger than a regular crab and it sticks stuff from in the aquarium all over its body to 'decorate' itself. I have one, and its very cool. Only thing is, whenever I put a new softcoral in the tank he cuts off a peice and sticks it to him. This is very scary to watch a crab rip away at your coral.

Feather dusters are cool too and they come in alot of colors, if you dont have any Id get a few.
Scallops are bright red, depending on what else you put in your tank, you could have one of those.
Just trying to come up with some stuff...

What look are you going for?

wackyvolitan

Originally Posted by Shrimpi
Is this going to be a fowlr?
If you plan on having corals at all it will limit what kind of 'starfish' you can have. Starfish eat coral. You could get a brittle star for cleanup, but they do hide alot.
You are going to need to stray away from many of the 'common' inverts because of your eel. Otherwise I would say to get some shrimp.
Urchins are cool, but they also 'burrow' in between your rocks (if you have some) and will likely cause an avalanche if the rocks arent secured enough. other than that, they are pretty much algae eaters, and I beleive they are noctural as well (not certain).
If you are looking for some 'not as easy to eat inverts' that are interesting to look at maybe get a decorator crab? Its a little bigger than a regular crab and it sticks stuff from in the aquarium all over its body to 'decorate' itself. I have one, and its very cool. Only thing is, whenever I put a new softcoral in the tank he cuts off a peice and sticks it to him. This is very scary to watch a crab rip away at your coral.

Feather dusters are cool too and they come in alot of colors, if you dont have any Id get a few.
Scallops are bright red, depending on what else you put in your tank, you could have one of those.
Just trying to come up with some stuff...

What look are you going for?

Thanks for the reply.
I don't plan on it being a FOWLR, just a FO.
I'll definitely look into all the inverts you mentioned! But what fish would you recommend for the tank?

ice4ice

Definitely not a Clownfish. Eel will have them for dinner in no time. Eels are best to house with predatory fishes. Lionfish, Panther Grouper, etc ...

A

azul1994

You could do a fuzzy dwarf lion, but the clown will become eel food eventually

wackyvolitan

Really?
The guy at the pet store said the Snowflake Eel would only eat crustaceans in the tank, but not fish! Do you think the clownfish will still be alright for a while since the eel is so small now (7.5"), or can he eat the Clownfish now?

wackyvolitan

Really?
The guy at the pet store said the Snowflake Eel would only eat crustaceans in the tank, but not fish! Do you think the clownfish will still be alright for a while since the eel is so small now (7.5"), or can he eat the Clownfish now?

babyb

im not sure what you have in there for your snowflake eel but they need live rock to hide in, also live rock will help filter your water and make everything healthier and look beter (imo)
as for your question about the clown i think he will be fine, those kinds of eels are on the smaller end and they tend to not be as agressive as most eels

wackyvolitan

Originally Posted by BabyB
im not sure what you have in there for your snowflake eel but they need live rock to hide in, also live rock will help filter your water and make everything healthier and look beter (imo)
as for your question about the clown i think he will be fine, those kinds of eels are on the smaller end and they tend to not be as agressive as most eels
Does it need to be live rock specifically, or just anything they can hide in? Because I have lots of decorations and fake rocks and coral, and a PVC pipe for him to hide in.